advertisement

What to do with your old SNAPS?...read on

YNWOAN

100% Analogue
The other day I decided to visit Les at Avondale Towers (well basement really but you get the idea). I've been using my old SNAPS with one of his 'Stage One' Phono stages and very happy I have been with it. Les modified my SNAPS to run as a dual rail power supply (very easy apparently) for me and it certainly has proved to be a worthwhile improvement on my Nac72 K boards (I'm now using Les modified K boards). Anyway, I took my SNAPS with me cos the last time I was there I had asked Les about changing the reservoir cap. After a quick look Les concluded that the cap was about 20 years old (the date is on the side - sounds like a fair time for a change); "There you go" he said "you'll need one of these" and after a short pause....."But what you really should fit is these", he added, and gave me a pair of small, very nicely made, circuit boards (apparently these are '317 TPR – Tracking Pre-Regulators', catchy name hugh). Les then spent a good deal of time trying to explain basic electronics to me (bit of a lost cause). After Les had drawn me the idiots guide to wiring them up I set off for home.

A small amount of mechanical DIY is required to fit these boards - 4 X 3mm holes (countersunk on the back). If this is too much mechanical DIY for you, frankly, you shouldn't be doing any. The wiring doesn't need cutting or adding to and six solder connections must be made (you must be OK with this to be reading the DIY section of this forum). The end result looks really professional and worked first time. As I said before I know very little about electrical 'stuff' but, somewhat bizarrely, I am a' dab hand' with a soldering iron and have done a lot of soldering - not that this is in any way a difficult job.

So what are the results, no doubt you want to know. Well, if you want your Naim system to be transformed into single ended valve stuff prepare to be disappointed. If however, you are happy with the sound of your system and want more of the same, be prepared to get really quite excited. If you know what it sounds like to add a Hi-Cap to a Naim system then this is pretty much (very much really) what Les' mods do for your SNAPS. Better timing, instrumental lines seem to develop in a more obvious way that somehow escaped your system before. Everything sounds a bit more 'tied down', somehow more solid. Bass is even firmer and a smidge more extended with more 'air' around instruments; it's not that inherently different really, just better organised and less ‘confused’.

These mods are quite cheap really (well, very cheap compared to Naim prices) but it's not the price that impresses me it genuinely is the performance. It's well known that Naim systems respond well to improved power supplies. Many equipment 'improvements' centre around specific gains or 'more of this and less of that' type changes. Improving the power supplies to you Naim gear gives an altogether more subtle but altogether more important and fundamental improvement; the whole structure of the sound presentation is altered for the better not just the tone of the middle violin in the 3rd movement.

If you have an old SNAPS or are looking for a new phono stage (and actually like your Naim gear), I strongly recommend you check out Les' power supply mods and his 'Stage One' phono stage. You might just save a bundle of money and discover a whole lot of music into the bargain.

Pics of the mods in progress to follow :) (When I’ve downloaded the pics)

advertisement

Back