advertisement

What to do with unused contact lenses (charity)

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
I have 3 boxes of unused in date untouched contact lenses. They are left over from when I changed lens brand on my subscription. The optician gave me a month of the new ones for free when I changed, and did not want the old back. They have been sitting on the side since April.

I cannot find a charity in the UK that would take them - plenty that would take old glasses, but not contacts?

Anyone any suggestions as to who might take them

I have 3 boxes of unused in date untouched contact lenses. They are left over from when I changed lens brand on my subscription. The optician gave me a month of the new ones for free when I changed, and did not want the old back. They have been sitting on the side since April.

I cannot find a charity in the UK that would take them - plenty that would take old glasses, but not contacts?

Anyone any suggestions as to who might take them
I think there is a law that says contacts may be sold only under supervision of optician/optometrist/doctor.

I think there is a law that says contacts may be sold only under supervision of optician/optometrist/doctor.

yes I know, but I am not selling them, I want to give them to an eye charity, who would no doubt have the expertise to redistribute appropriately.

I am trying to avoid binning them

yes I know, but I am not selling them, I want to give them to an eye charity, who would no doubt have the expertise to redistribute appropriately.

I am trying to avoid binning them
My point was that your average charity would not be able to sell them and therefore would not want them. I doubt anyone would want prescription lenses given the difficulty of matching them to an individual.

My point was that your average charity would not be able to sell them and therefore would not want them. I doubt anyone would want prescription lenses given the difficulty of matching them to an individual.

An eye charity i have been involved with doesnt sell anything. It receives prescription spectacles as charitable donations and redistributes them to people in need.

An eye charity i have been involved with doesnt sell anything. It receives prescription spectacles as charitable donations and redistributes them to people in need.
I can't see such charities having any real reason to do the same with contact lenses. People in need can use a pair of spectacles repeatedly and long-term. If they use contact lenses, what will they do when their supply runs out? The charity can't commit to resupply, as it doesn't have any assured source.

Plus, how would it verify the lenses were kosher? Not counterfeit, or not sterile, for instance.

I think you're on a hiding to nothing, unfortunately.

I'd keep them as spares, maybe in your Brexit box in case the supply dries up for any reason.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back