advertisement

What to do: 220v vs 240v

Honduras, Jamaica and Virgin Islands do, seeing as you asked :) Several others do too but I don't know every single country's voltage off by heart....

Japan seems to be the only one with 100VAC, which is a PITA when buying domestic Jap-Fi.

I can't really tell by the shades of red on that map, but Canada and USA domestic supply is nominally 120V 60Hz. I know Japan is 100V but I don't know of anywhere that really uses 110V. Also that map is obviously wrong because it shows UK and Europe as the same which they are not. I know it's not important but I have always wondered why so many people seem to think Canada/US use 110V when we don't.

When I was a kid in Saskatchewan (Canada), my father explained that the power varied between 105V and 130V. He was an electrical engineer specializing in power transmissions. He rose through the ranks of SaskPower, and eventually became CEO of the newly formed SaskEnergy. I figure he was well informed on the subject. :)

You could contact the original Onix 601 designer and circuit brains - Tony Brady now at Exposure.

Tony is very helpful and approachable. I will PM details to you shortly.
Discussed the matter with Tony and he said that the transformer was custom made with different taps and one should be 240V. He could not remember the colour convention though.

What's an easy and safe way of figuring out the taps' voltage?

P.S. Big thanks to Tony for taking the time to answer my questions!

advertisement

Back