advertisement

What the hell is happening to CA640 phono stage prices?

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
I just watched an untested, no power supply CA640p go for £88 on eBay... what the heck is happening with these? Jez Arkless can't be converting them all, surely?

I don’t know, but I have CA 651p you can have for less than that, working and with a power adapter, PM me if interested, I’m selling my second deck because it isn’t getting used, so I won’t be needing it.

I just watched an untested, no power supply CA640p go for £88 on eBay... what the heck is happening with these? Jez Arkless can't be converting them all, surely?
I won that one. I already have a 651p which Jez converted to his standard model earlier this year, so I have a PS already. I’m keeping that one as-is because I still need the MM facility and Jez set it up for my 2M Black.

This one will become a GTI Turbo in due course. Jez has said that the unit doesn’t actually have to be working to be suitable for conversion. So this one made sense to me, in my particular circumstances, and I figured it might go for a bit less than they have done lately, for the reasons you suggest.

Edit: sounds like there’s a winning deal to be had with Linnfo, hope you’ve PM’d him!

TBF, it went for pretty close to my upper limit. They seem to be going for a bit north of £100, so if Linnfo’s as good as his word (he is), you’ll get a newer unit for less than me, complete with PSU, so gRRRRrrrrr! yourself ;)

I don’t know, but I have CA 651p you can have for less than that, working and with a power adapter, PM me if interested, I’m selling my second deck because it isn’t getting used, so I won’t be needing it.

I have PM'ed - thank you - but I'm wondering if I should leave it stock, because Jez Arkless may well be responsible for them being hunted out of existence :p

As a slightly related side note, you're all enablers around here :p No-one gets out of this hobby alive if you can help it!

Not that I need much encouragement... already got a second turntable product [Edit] PROJECT bubbling in my poor, strained brain...

Last edited:
Just goes to show, always worth putting a wanted ad on here. It's amazing how much kit people hold on to and what falls out if you shake the tree a bit.

Sometimes it's a curse. Someone offered me a Planar 2 at a price I would have to be an even bigger idiot than I am to refuse... and it's been a slippery slope from there!

Sorry to hear that. Usually the post limit gets rid of most chancers. I've never had a bad experience with any purchase or sale on here. Ebay has been 50/50.

I think you may have misunderstood... £85 for an older Planar 2 - one of the ones with the brushed metal finish on the plinth, and the first release of RB250 arm, with the polished steel balance weight...

I think you may have misunderstood... £85 for an older Planar 2 - one of the ones with the brushed metal finish on the plinth, and the first release of RB250 arm, with the polished steel balance weight...

Penny has finally dropped. When I started on this forum I had LP12/Ittok/Dynavector 10x4 / Armageddon/ 42.5 / Avondale PS / 110 / Index 2s.

Now I have LP12 / Ekos 1.5 / Akiva / Armageddon / Dynavector P75 / Naim nDac / XPS2 / 82 / Avondale TPX2 / Snaxo 2-4 / Avondale TPX2 / 2 x Avondale a260Z / SL2s.

Just goes to show, always worth putting a wanted ad on here. It's amazing how much kit people hold on to and what falls out if you shake the tree a bit.
I’m having a bit of a move around and considering a furniture change in my second room, I was thinking about where to position my deck... and then realised I’ve probably only played six sides on it in the last year, I decided earlier to let it, and the phono stage go... GruntPuppy created this thread at the right time because I was going to list them, possibly along with a Meridian preamp as soon as I have the time.

Sometimes it's a curse. Someone offered me a Planar 2 at a price I would have to be an even bigger idiot than I am to refuse... and it's been a slippery slope from there!

It was one of those "either that box on top of the wardrobe goes or I go" moments :)
Now she is eyeing up all the other boxes hidden around the house

l had a 640P before l had my Arkless Turbo and on MM l thought it sounded fantastic, a really enjoyable sound- no quite so on MC as l might expect- then get an Arkless mod on it and you have a very musical and potent sounding phono stage for a lot less than some others of inferior quality.

Just give her my number, it's faster if the middle man is cut out :p
no chance, she will give it ALL away
She has found by back up CD player ( Marantz 6000 OSE )which is like a family member to me but to her it is a stumbling block in the way of Marie Kondo Happiness :)

I had one of those! Superb gear, tweakable too.

Since the KonMari method says "Keep only those things that speak to the heart" surely this is safe?

advertisement

Back