advertisement

What speakers to go with Sony ES

MichaelC

pfm Member
I keep chipping away.

This will be the dining room system.

707es cd player

Either a 770 or 707es amp

But what speakers? They will need to be smaller stand mounts (and must be black). Suggestions please, new or old...

Purely going on what I've heard from Grommit's setup at scalford using very similar Sony electronics, Q acoustics 2010/3010 or Royd Sapphires should sound very good with them.

Depends on your budget. I bought a pair of the now discontinued ProAc Tablette Anniversary a few months ago & they are the best small speakers I have ever heard with exceptional bass for their size & a wonderful soundstage. They are also very good looking drive units & quite neat. Audio-T in Preston had their matt black demo pair for sale for £995 when I was there recently.

I'd be tempted to try some Sony APM22ES, available in black:

1327425-sony-apm22es-mkii.jpg

I really like my little apm20es. I'd love to hear some of the top end apm speakers.
Not sure if they're available in black, but the ss a5 sound fantastic.

these go very well with my 700es amp,perhaps a little big though.
i have also used a pair of monitor audion r852md's they were very good too.,,both in black :)

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1125_1.jpg

The 770ES is a pretty beefy amp and will drive most speakers effortlessly so your options are very open.

My own 770ES is partnered with some big 3-way transmission lines and together they produce music with real scale and presence! Too big for a dining room system though.

I use LS3/5as on Partington Dreadnoughts with my dining room system. They are a convenient size and their nearfield optimisation compensates for the varied listening positions around the dining room table. I think Rogers made them in black.

I don't know about the difference between the 700 and 770 but a thought, I seem to recall my father had a small pair of Rogers speakers from about the era of the 770, albeit running via Rotel amps at that time. Size would be just about right, and broadly of the era. I wonder...

I see the 770 is certainly a looker, what with a chamapagne finish and wooden cheeks, ooh suits you sir. Lets hope the sonics are as pleasing, I'm getting tired of my underpowered you know what UK made amps, with no remotes.

I see the 770 is certainly a looker, what with a chamapagne finish and wooden cheeks, ooh suits you sir. Lets hope the sonics are as pleasing, I'm getting tired of my underpowered you know what UK made amps, with no remotes.

It is a beast of an amp in sound and looks.:cool:

Didn't Sony do a pair of quite high-end little monitors? I'm rubbish with model numbers so don't ask me what they're called!

love my 707ES. pairs well with everything because its very neutral, natural, ect

its a no compromise SS design so its quite truthful. it do seem to lack some air, soundstage and ambient information compared to tube, but other then that, its pretty flawless

Well, its a 707ES I bagged. It should match my 707ES cd player. Just need to sort out the speakers...

It is a beast of an amp in sound and looks.:cool:

I'll keep an eye out for one then, just got a Pioneer 8700 cdp, was less than a £100, and is wonderful. Absolutely no desire to upgrade. Love the look of these 80s/90s players too.

advertisement

Back