advertisement

What speakers for Quad?

spet0114

REMPI Member
Having recently decided to dip my toe in the waters of valve amplification, I've just bought myself a pair of Quad II amps. Fairly early ones too apparently (Serial Nos in the 19xxx range). They come with the associated 22 preamp.

So, a simple question. Which speakers go well with these amps? As they're fairly low power amps, the speakers will need to be reasonable efficient. The output trannies have taps for 8 ohm or 15 ohm.

Likewise, any recommendations for pre-amps (should I decide not to use the 22).

All (constructive) opinions welcome.

Cheers

Adrian

Pre-amps are tricky, IMO. The classic/vintage power amps are way better than the classic pre-amps. I'd go for something more modern for the pre.

The re-issued QC24 pre would look the part, works well, can have a phono card added and will cost less than a grand...

Quad Musikwiedergabe in Germany will build you a brand new Quad 22 from scratch or supply the QC24 from stock.

They are also the best place to buy the ESL57s that your Quad IIs are crying out for (and they'll service the IIs as well).

Ok Gentlemen.

First of all, thank you very much for your suggestions. The summary so far :

Possible Preamps -

Quad 22 (possibly after a service in Germany)
Quad 24
Promiteus TVC

Possible Speakers -
Quad ESL 57
Quad ESL 63
Some variety of Tannoy.

Regarding the pre-amp, I think i'm going to have a go with the 22 and see how I get on with it's sound. If not, then I'll probably investigate a TVC or other passive pre. May even have a go at building my own.

Regarding speakers, size and budget constraints eliminate the ESL's for the moment, ditto the larger of the tannoys. At the moment, the speakers I have or have access to are : (in no particular order)

Kef Coda 8's (these claim 91dB sensitivity)
Kef Ref 104AB's
Rogers JR149's
Mordaunt Short Ms25Ti's (have had tweaters replaced)

Which, if any, of these should give the best results?

Cheers

Adrian

I used a Croft Super Micro preamp to my Quad II + Tannoy SGM-10. The Croft is very laid-back and sweet...the output suits the Quad II as well

advertisement

Back