advertisement

What sounds better - 78's or 24/196 ??

What sounds better ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

louballoo

Banned
What sounds better an excellently engineered 78 from the late thirties with a stompin' jazz band like Fats Waller's Rhythm Band or a mediocre poorly engineered digital recording in 24/196 ? Maybe some of that flacid pop from the grammy awards.

Answer the Poll:

FatsWaller_zpsc6a58338.jpg

Thats a loaded poll... The heading doesn't match the poll at all and is like comparing ripe apples to rotten pine apples.

What sounds better an excellently engineered 78 from the late thirties with a stompin' jazz band like Fats Waller's Rhythm Band or a mediocre poorly engineered digital recording in 24/196 ? Maybe some of that flacid pop from the grammy awards.

Answer the Poll:
I remember playing Classical/Opera virgin 78's with a thorn needle in the 50,s, the sound was very good. immensely satisfying emotionally & realistically. Unfortunately I lost my extensive collection of 78's during a move . I doubt if any virgin 78's exist today so it would be virtually impossible to do a comparison with say CD/SACds

Lou,
My turntable doesn't play 78's but I have LP's with transcribed 78's .
They all sound terrible, with lots of crackly noise.
In UK there is a resurgence of interest in 78 rpm records, with new vinyl being pressed.
Do they sound better?
I think its the music and not the shellac that you like.

Simon

The question here is really whether you prefer good music to good sound quality.

Rubbish content is rubbish no matter how well it's recorded. But, equally, good music on a degraded medium can reach a tipping point where it is difficult to enjoy it.

What sounds better and excellently engineered 78 from the late thirties with a stompin' jazz band like Fats Waller's Rhythm Band or a mediocre poorly engineered digital recording in 24/196 ? Maybe some of that flacid pop from the grammy awards.

Answer the Poll:

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a 'digital recording in 24/196' so the only 'choice' is 'excellently engineered 78 from the late thirties.....'.

Hardly a poll if there is only one 'choice'.

Yes, it is a poorly phrased question. I was trying to make a point about how little I care about the resolution of digital audio. Personally I don't think there is a heck of a lot of difference between 16/44 or 24/192. Ultimately its the performance, engineering and the mastering, in that order.

(and please if you haven't yet, go find some of Fats's music.........you can thank me later)

Your Pal

Louballoo

Those of us who work with data from methodologically sound polls are just appalled by the quality of this one. Polling was once conducted by properly trained experts — scientists and statisticians — but now every punter with a computer thinks he can conduct a survey. From nonsensical questions to poor grammar and spelling, from faulty data collection to muddled analyses, we've seen this lofty discipline sullied by self-appointed "pollophiles" — rank amateurs who wouldn't know a Chi-squared test if it bit them in the p value.

I long for the day when amateur pollsters become nothing more than a quivering carcass gasping its last breath, along with the parasitic poll press.

Your pal,

Joeballoo

The performance and excellent recording of some 50s jazz still gets through the really dire sound of most 78s though, to be honest I'd like a 24/192 transfer of those recordings if they were available. The actual music is always more important than the method of reproduction.

The performance and excellent recording of some 50s jazz still gets through the really dire sound of most 78s though, to be honest I'd like a 24/192 transfer of those recordings if they were available. The actual music is always more important than the method of reproduction.

most Clasical 78's did not sound dire especially mint ones that I used to buy from HMV Oxford St. when it was the best record store in the World. Bad scratches and sound was caused by steel needles of the time, I only used thorns. I wish I still had my 78's.

Those of us who work with data from methodologically sound polls are just appalled by the quality of this one. Polling was once conducted by properly trained experts — scientists and statisticians — but now every punter with a computer thinks he can conduct a survey. From nonsensical questions to poor grammar and spelling, from faulty data collection to muddled analyses, we've seen this lofty discipline sullied by self-appointed "pollophiles" — rank amateurs who wouldn't know a Chi-squared test if it bit them in the p value.

I long for the day when amateur pollsters become nothing more than a quivering carcass gasping its last breath, along with the parasitic poll press.

Your pal,

Joeballoo

Dear protoge, does this mean I can be a mod? I long for the repect that comes with the roll. I promise not to abuse my power.

Your Pairie Pal

Louballoo

Lou,

Dear protoge, does this mean I can be a mod? I long for the repect that comes with the roll. I promise not to abuse my power.
It saddens me no end to inform you of this, but to be a pfm mod you have to meet basic spelling and grammatical standards.

Joe

If I'm being honest any 78s I have heard have sounded like they are playing through a crackly telephone line, no doubt there are good examples out there but my experience has steered me toward the digital recordings. I love vinyl though, spinning costello's almost blue as I type.

advertisement

Back