Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What sort of discount for "ex-demo"?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Tryant, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Tryant

Tryant pfm Member

What sort of discount should be expected for buying "ex-demo"? Is there a standard discount or does this vary a lot? Ta

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Something around 25% would be "normal", based on my buyer's memory.

Like anything in life though - it will be at the seller's discretion, and near certainly depend on the full price, new - cheap new ain't going to be giveaway ex-dem'.

3. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

Hugely variable.

Depends on

How popular the item is
    How old the dem one is
    What condition it's in
    Whether it's still current spec
    Used prices for similar items
    What the dealer mark up is
    How expensive it is
    What guarantees it comes with
    Who the manufacturer is and their support levels

You'd be lucky to get 10% to 15% off a popular current spec budget item but I've had 50% off discontinued things.

alan967tiger and Old Shatterhand like this.
  4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Depends on condition above all else. I got a £2k pair of speakers for less than a quarter of that because one had a corner off. The price kept falling, nobody bit.

myles likes this.
  5. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

Assuming that the equipment is in good condition then 10-15% off list.

6. Olsen

Olsen pfm Member

Certainly no standard.
    Depends on what item and if discontinued.

Dealer margin varies extremely.
    Maybe between 25-75%

If say 20-25% offered you might get a little more by negotiating.

7. Bairnstorm

Bairnstorm pfm Member

8. Rick_F

Rick_F pfm Member

Depends on the dealer. Most seem to reduce by around 30%, but I've experienced the odd dealer who seemed to think close to the MRP was ok. Needless to say I won't buy from that kind.

9. duckworp

duckworp pfm Member

10% usually. These days ex-demo often means a customer has returned it within the rules for online returns. So it is effectively new. It’s not the ex-demo of old days which were genuine well-used demonstration pieces.

10. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Does it matter if its five days open or 50? Its not like kit wears out unless its a cart. Once its unwrapped and plugged in its used. Marked is a different issue.

11. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

This is heartening news - my last ex-dem bargains had 40% off...

12. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

My usual dealer has a standard 20% off ex-demo gear with full manufacturer’s warranty, in as-new condition. For anything in less than perfect condition I would expect a better deal.
    You should check the age of any demo gear, as popular items may well be a few years old and possibly well travelled if the dealer offers home demos. Not that this necessarily matters if the gear is in good condition and guaranteed.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Surprised this is still called ex-demo. Bit of a misnomer in my book.

That equates to not paying the VAT (even if it's applicable to the used price). VAT is the immediate depreciation when buying at r.r.p. If paying VAT, the bigger the discount, the less tax.

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I wouldn't get out of bed for 10% off. 20% minimum for me, if mint, boxed, full manuf warranty etc.

Mickdale, Snufkin and BertieWorcester like this.
  15. BertieWorcester

BertieWorcester What-ho!!

Yes, agreed. IMHO you're in the right zone there.

16. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

If something is mint, boxed, etc etc why would a dealer need to offer much over 20% off?
    Maybe a newer version coming out, maybe it’s been a slow seller?
    Certain stuff like AV Amps from Denon, Yamaha etc seem to drop in price quite a lot during their lifespan, other stuff like Linn, Naim & other premium brands rarely seem to need to be heavily discounted.

17. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

30%
    Off list. The dealer is still making a bit

18. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Don't forget demo kit for dealers is often discounted as part of a bulk order incentive

19. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

If you get 20% off the retail price you are saving slightly more than the VAT paid on the item.

20. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

20-40% depending on circumstances of demo/use.