advertisement

What music are you 'actually' playing now? (see below for details!)

Andrew C!

Been around a while....
Yo to all.

seeing as the music room has what media are we playing etc, I thought I'd ask what actual music anyone who has an instrument etc is playing, now...

To start - on grade 3 piano - so am doing -
Bartok - Round dance no 17
Also been playing: Cloud shapes by Wil Baily, plus assorted other bits by: abba Eek, Paul Simon etc...

So ,what are you playing, and why?

On mandolin, I am tackling various tunes from: 'The Dorchester Hornpipe' - 34 country dance tunes from the manuscript music books of Thomas Hardy.

Also trying to learn The Sportsman's Hornpipe without music as my teacher plays and I listen and learn. A great tune but hard work.

Steve.

Various from "It's never too late to learn the Piano", plus my own meandering round the keyboard.

Going to start some Jazz soon... hopefully.

Cheers

Jon

some noodly pap in 10/8 on my unplugged upright electric bass (although I had to stop to type this message)

That's what I am 'actually' playing (as opposed to 'actually' listening to -- something else entirely in my head. I think its the Song sung by the Chickens in Janaceck's Cunning little Vixen...)

LOl nice replies - and very varied musical styles as well judging by the titles... keep em coming. I'm also spending a small fortune on intermediate song/piano books by various folk, as I actually get to grips with this 'reading music whilst playing' thing...

self-teaching acoustic guitar... so it's basically a combination of the following chords:

A, Am, A7, C, D, Dm, Ddim6, E, Em, E7, G (and lots of variations in between, those are the ones I can remember!)... I still can't say I can play an F or a B... so what songs have I dabbled in?

Heart of Gold - Neil Young
Blowin in the Wind - Bob Dylan

and so on...

And a couple of songs I've written myself which use the chords above in different variations...

Kol Nidrei by Bruch, am supposed to be performing it at a Wedding in August. Also composing two different wedding marches for friends. I'll be glad when they're all married!

I'm mostly playing Blues now. It is a style that does get gigs, even now. You'd have thought people had had enough of it!

The band have got a set together and we've done about ten gigs so far, in decent places, and we're working up about 7 or 8 original tunes.

I would like to play some different original music, though, but this has got me into the Melbourne scene and I'm hoping to get spotted - as bass players are a rarity it seems.

Any two chords and a lot of distortion.

Tony.

A satisfying combination, I am sure. In the late seventies at school we had a dodgy Vox electric "piano" and I found that the only use it had was jacking it into a Marshall stack via a distortion pedal and a Morley Wah-Wah and doing pretty much the same thing - jam down the sustain pedal and whack a nice fat chord through it whilst giving it some on the wah pedal.

Magic.

Mark

Stratting about, I've given up trying to play tunes and whatnot; I just can't do it. So I'm working on my Derek Bailey/Pops Staples hybrid fusion style.

Having just taken delivery of a Roland Micro Cube (thanks Tony), I'm learning synchronise my guitar playing to me counting to 4 and 7, having owned a guitar for 13 years.

Next I think I will learn to hold it properly.

*no distortion for me; I'm too crap play at any volume above actual audibility*

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o0wkWaOa0r8

I'm looking at a Pares Scales and The aebersold blues in all keys books on the trombone (a proper instrument :).......

As well as a folder or Big Band stuff, a folder of brass band stuff and a folder of stuff for the Ska band I'm in..........

I'm also working on twinkle little star, by ear in any key...........I think I'll step it up to when the saints next.......

However like Homer Simpson, every time I learn something new it pushes summat else out.

Here's a you toob clip of said Ska band..........

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FCf4CQrjSM4

S

Arpeggios pizzicato... Scales pizzicato... arpeggios arco... Scales arco...

repeat until the kettle boils

Currently butchering a number of Bach pieces on the guitar as an exercise to improve my tab reading and fingerstyle precision and trying to get closer to the Elizabeth Cotten picking style on 'Don't think Twice it's alright' - I think this latter is becoming akin to Japanese water torture for my flatmate.

advertisement

Back