advertisement

What MM cart for PL-71?

synapse

pfm Member
i'm sure this has been done to death but i have to ask. I have a fairly recently acquired PL-71 for my second system.....main system is mac mini set up......anyway I was going to put in my AT 7V but my favourite daughter has bent the cantilever (it's trash, tried to restraighten but it twists etc.).......so here's the dilema, do I buy a new stylus for this or try (I say try, though I haven't had the PL-71 and AT 7V combo running) something else? My shortlist at the moment would be Ortofon 2M Blue or Denon DL 110. Don't want to spend any more than this.

Rest of the set-up is Nytech active into Mission 760ise with crossovers bypassed (am looking for ARC 050s but no luck as yet) sound is on the lean side.

What do you reckon?

The Pioneer PL71 is over-hyped rubbish, direct drive for heaven's sake...best thing you can do with this piece of junk is send it to me.

For free..

Please.

Pretty please?

The Denon is well recieved and I like mine. A mate has a Shure 97xe ( I think), these retail around £100 ish but careful shopping over the net and a lucky break getting it through customs without VAT will see it delivered for £50-60. This sounds very nice.

Arm mass is high so be careful with cartridges choice especially if you have ported loudspeakers with nice floppy bass drivers. Subsonic cut in the RIAA stage also helps widen the cartridge choice., not all have it.

Denon 110 is just about ok, 103 is a better match in this instance though both are well damped .
Nearly all modern MMs are too compliant so best stick to moderately priced MCs. The Shure 97 mentioned by Steve is an exception and should be fine as it uses a brush damper.

thanks guys....was wondering whether the weight of the arm was on the heavy side or not, can't seem to find stats on effective weight for this....the shure is interesting, do you think the denon might just clinch it though or might the shure be a little more laid back?

The Pioneer PL71 is over-hyped rubbish, direct drive for heaven's sake...best thing you can do with this piece of junk is send it to me.

For free..

Please.

Pretty please?

Well TBH I have heard two and while good they hardly set the world alight in the music making stakes.

at95..great cart but would like a little bit more finesse and perhaps i'm straying away from the AT sound?

thanks guys....was wondering whether the weight of the arm was on the heavy side or not, can't seem to find stats on effective weight for this....the shure is interesting, do you think the denon might just clinch it though or might the shure be a little more laid back?

DL110 is better and worth the extra IMO.

The 71's a great turntable - of course there will be better for (a lot) more ££ but musically-speaking, across a very broad range of musical genres, it's certainly up with the best I've owned in over 30 years. Its arm will withstand some pretty serious cartridges too should the mood/funds take you. :)

MM/HOMC-wise a DL110 will fit the bill very nicely - I've used one in a 71 and it works just fine. Other cartridges (high output) I've used are...

Audio Note IQ3
Decca Super Gold
Shure M7ED/Jico SAS*

*This shouldn't have worked but it did - and very nicely too.

I wouldn't bother with the M97xe unless you can get it to work electrically - it's very fussy about input capacitance on the amp's input/phono leads.

advertisement

Back