advertisement

What makes it a 'classic'?

Frey bentos pie :oops: not as good as I remember.
You are right. I bought one a couple fo years ago to cook for the kids to show them what I was eating as a student back in the 1970s. It wasn't terrible but it was not as good as I remember it - the pastry was all wrong.. and there was stuff all filling!
Kids not impressed - and went back to their Quinoa.....

Classics should be out of production, and so I'm not sure if the LP12 is a classic yet.

If that’s the case at what point does the Klipschorn become a classic?! It’s been in production since 1948!

LP12 is unquestionably there IMO despite initially being a controversial and unimaginative design (it basically being Ariston’s TD-150-influenced design with another badge). Over the best part of 50 years it has grown into its classic status and no discussion about turntables can ignore it IMO. It is as much part of turntable history as the 301, 124, AR XA, 150, SL1200s, Planar 3, L-07D etc.

Frey bentos pie :oops: not as good as I remember.

The recipe is now done by accountants, good stuff out cheap crap in, the Amstrad business model whose products don’t appear on anyones fave list along with Prinztronic and a few other brands.

The Amstrad was never meant to replace the Leaks and Quads of the day, but rather the Dansettes with their one valve and puny cheap little output transformer which the valve struggled to anything through, so as such was in fact an improvement.

You are right. I bought one a couple fo years ago to cook for the kids to show them what I was eating as a student back in the 1970s. It wasn't terrible but it was not as good as I remember it - the pastry was all wrong.. and there was stuff all filling!
Kids not impressed - and went back to their Quinoa.....

my partner still has one now and again with apparent satisfaction. Would have thought she'd have said something if they'd changed for the worse ... will have to canvas her opinion.

advertisement

Back