advertisement

What kind of cable is this?

onlyconnect

pfm Member
Forgive my ignorance...

I have an old pair of Sennheisser HD590 headphones and like the sound. One channel failed which I traced to the cable using a continuity checker. Exact cable seems hard to find so I snipped the cable to see if I could fix it by soldering a new 3.5mm plug on one end. I can't even see the cores that carry the signal, at least I don't think it's the twisted coloured wire that carries the signal, I imagine they are screening an inner core which is so fine I can't see it?

20230205-185508366-i-OS.jpg

no, those are the cores - one left, one right, one shared 0v return.

The strands are individually coated with a pu-type varnish, and this makes this stuff a b*tch to solder. A solder pot works; so does using a butane flame to burn off the coating, then a sharp edge or v fine abrasive paper drawn over to scrape clean. don't be surprised if it takes a couple of goes to get a reliable joint.

erminds me of the tinsel cable used in phone leads, nasty nasty stuff.

+1 of the fag lighter.

Pete

no, those are the cores - one left, one right, one shared 0v return.

The strands are individually coated with a pu-type varnish, and this makes this stuff a b*tch to solder. A solder pot works; so does using a butane flame to burn off the coating, then a sharp edge or v fine abrasive paper drawn over to scrape clean. don't be surprised if it takes a couple of goes to get a reliable joint.

Thanks so much, interesting too!

Tim

Yes, a variety of tinsel cable - specified to mainly give extra flexibility and reasonably long life, as opposed being a boutique grade with dubious claims about sound quality !

As Pete and Martin have implied, it’s difficult to solder or remake connections on, but not impossible.

advertisement

Back