advertisement

What is your favourite Royd speaker

OK, thanks. So what would you do regarding this pair? Would you buy them or is it better to skip and wait for a better pair?

Its difficult to advise. I got to the stage where I said Im having the next pair if they look reasonable

When I say dry patch you will find that most minstrels have that patch now. I was thinking that the doping seems to end abruptly and roughly there. Mine have a more smooth edge tail off. I was also thinking that i see black on the top of the inner coil ring

Cabinet condition and signs that the grills went on the same way...ie only top compression on the tweeter foam surround are also signs of a well looked after speaker

Are the speakers near you? Are they are good price? I do advise inspection and collection. If you see any black on that ring somebody could have attempted a degumming without the care needed

I think my advice would be to bide your time and look at a few pairs that come up. Dont rush. If your finances are heathly you could buy several pairs and choose the best :) Yes my advice would be to wait for another pair

You wont really get a bargain so look at paying for a nice pair from a seller you can relate to. You have to fully weigh up that spare parts are not available. Prices have been going up but I think a pair working well are worth every penny

Im listening to minstrels now. I would certainly advise hearing a pair. Which pair you buy is entirely up to you. Please be very aware that you could end up with a duffer and you need to be knowledgeable and careful when buying

I have an early and a late pair of minstrels and they both have that light coloured patch around the pole.But having done the same google image search it seems that he did change his doping from time to time,maybe he used different dope sometimes.He seems to have played it all by ear.

yes it was supposed to be the earlier batches that had a problem. I read that he did then change the doping and was always tweaking things. I wish I had bought a new pair when released.

I remember seeing them in 1994? surrounded by big beech multi driver floorstanders. The Minstrel was small and really quaint looking. I remember thinking about the uneven driver surface (part of the anti resonance design) and thinking they just look too small and delicate to do anything.

I remember half listening to the open floor dem and thinking yeah alright!

I dont actually know how far he went in with the doping. They all seem to have a flower shaped inner area with no doping now. Some areas are bigger than others.

Anyway they have a deftness and lightness of touch which is outstanding. They image superbly and detail just springs out. The bass that comes from them is amazing. I have never said they are the best speaker but what they do is just so damn enjoyable

The Eden is a better speaker than the Coniston which was the next lower in the range. If I remember correctly, the Eden had a much better braced cabinet. They're both glorious though.

Yes I would love to hear some Edens. Metal lining the cabinet is a lovely touch. Its got the uprated driver bracing and heaven knows what other tweaks

I am happy with the Royds Ive got. As you know, it's a case of finding them at the right condition and price.

Those Minstrels look to be in better condition,and later,than both of mine.
If he is not asking silly money for them i would go for them...
O ,and my early ones had no bass to them,but it only took me ten minutes to clean the gunk off the centre and they were singing.

Those Minstrels look to be in better condition,and later,than both of mine.
If he is not asking silly money for them i would go for them...
O ,and my early ones had no bass to them,but it only took me ten minutes to clean the gunk off the centre and they were singing.

215 GBP + 57 GBP for shipping (I don't live in UK)

Minstrels are certainly going up in price recently. For that money I would be looking for ones with better condition drivers, probably even the cradles, these are Royd's most popular speaker, so easy to find a tidier pair. Will PM you some if I see them & take a photo of mine.

I agree with Yomanze,you should be able to find a tidy pair for less than that.The shipping cost is the deal killer for you unfortunatly.

ok then. I'll skip this. Thanks.

Yeah Yomanze is right.

Take your time and have a look when they come up. Prices have gone up. I got a pair for £142 with some Linn cable thrown in. The price now is more likely to be in a range of £180 to £300.

Its not really a lot of money though and I reckon they are well worth more than double what I paid. Im not going to get rich on the Royd increases :D I just love having them

You will pay all that much extra to ship them. Be careful that they can pack them properly or you will end up with heavy damage

If you get a nice pair it will be worth it. In the unlikely event that you dont like them, they will hold a resale value.

The benefit of this forum is that you know all about a possible gumming issue so can ask all the right questions including a request for close up pictures.

If the seller isnt friendly and helpful with lots of information...dont buy.

All the best with your search

My Minstrels started to have a lack of mid bass and the highs became harsh. Could it be that the capacitors have gone? Where to buy a pair?

My Minstrels started to have a lack of mid bass and the highs became harsh. Could it be that the capacitors have gone? Where to buy a pair?

Its most probably the gumming problem but the speakers are getting on now and could need a full check up.

If you find stuck drivers I have posted full advice on the forum

Its most probably the gumming problem but the speakers are getting on now and could need a full check up.

If you find stuck drivers I have posted full advice on the forum

After your and RustyB's post I have checked the drivers again and yes, there were some gumming but also it seems that one driver is broken. It looks like the ring around the cone has detached but still it doesn't sound like something is broken. How come??
yz8keu.jpg

After your and RustyB's post I have checked the drivers again and yes, there were some gumming but also it seems that one driver is broken. It looks like the ring around the cone has detached but still it doesn't sound like something is broken. How come??
yz8keu.jpg

The ring is supposed to look like that... unfortunately it's also why the gum drips.

Ok, just for fun, who has the most Royd speakers?

I have....

Sorcerer SE's
Sapphire ii's
Minstrel x2
AV77 centre

At one point I had:

Royd Sapphire MK1
Royd Minstrel
Royd Sorcerer (SE)
Royd RR3

...now I just have the Sorcerers & RR3s. :)

advertisement

Back