advertisement

What is your current system? part III

Naim CDX, 102, home made (by fellow fishy) psu with two Super Teddyregs, NAPSC, 180, Headline with Hicap, Naim Intros, Avondale Blacklink, Sennheiser HD565, Fraim.

Apart from adding the home built psu, Fraim and swapping naca5 for Blacklink, nothing changed since summer 1999!

Desktop system was powered by a Rega Brio-R, but after shifting things around due to upgrades, it is now:

Exposure 2010s2
Epos Elan 10
Martin Logan 500 (with fix)
NAD 1050 DAC
Cambridge Sonata CD
Parasound TDQ-150 tuner

I'm a huge Exposure / Epos fan, as you can probably tell.

HP Stream 11 - For the Computer front end & TV/Film.
Monitor Audio BX2 Speakers on BTECH Wallmounts
Monitor Audio A100 - Amp, DAC for CCA, DLNA FLAC playback from Stream 11 storage
Chromecast Audio - Google Play, Chromebook audio & podcasts
HP Chromebook 11 for web browsing (like this) and sending youtube streams to my TV/CCA.

I've basically given up on owning 'boxes', and whilst that listed was bought new at decent prices totalling about £700, and serves many functions besides, it won't appreciate in value like some vintage gear, occasionally inexplicably, is. Also my phone controls a large amount of what I need, including my TV.

Also, a Kyoto Futons convertible sofa from the BHF & a firm 'Calming Breath' yoga bolster pillow thing to sit/lay on whilst chilling ^_^ And a remote control colour changing lightbulb, often have it on a dim red, nice.

Importantly the noisiest thing I can hear at night is the lightbulb, a verrrry faint hum likely from a ceramic capacitor or inductor.

After years of soddiing great valve monos, LP12 Lingo etc....

Gyro SE with Orbe Platter and Audiomods Arm/and AT33 PTG/DV17D2
EAR 834 Phono
Rotel RCD965/BX.. as is, or via BenchmarkDAC1
LFD Zero Mk5 Integrated
Rogers Studio 3/AB3, on granite bases.

Speaker cables Mark Grant Blue

Interconnects.. assorted.

Also still occasionally use an ancient Denon Tu260L tuner for casual radio listening, and a Yamaha CD Recorder(which also makes a perfectly respectable CDP) for digitising vinyl.

Next stop.. local streaming.

No rush.

Much more than half a lifetime (and half a century) of listening to recorded music, has finally convinced me that a few well selected components, delivering what I want, rather than what I'm told I should want, is the way to go...

Mull

Rega RP8 with Lyra Titan
Aurender N100H streamer to Auralic Vega dac
Halcro DM10
MBL 9008a amp x 2
B&W 800Di2

Lots of cables, 4kva BOT, Franke Powerbank, Shunyata Vray

After years of soddiing great valve monos, LP12 Lingo etc....

Gyro SE with Orbe Platter and Audiomods Arm/and AT33 PTG/DV17D2
EAR 834 Phono
Rotel RCD965/BX.. as is, or via BenchmarkDAC1
LFD Zero Mk5 Integrated
Rogers Studio 3/AB3, on granite bases.

No rush.

Much more than half a lifetime (and half a century) of listening to recorded music, has finally convinced me that a few well selected components, delivering what I want, rather than what I'm told I should want, is the way to go...

Mull

Interesting, you name suggests a liking to valve amplification, and the implication in this post that you have had 'years' of experience with valve amps, but now you run solid state (in the form of an LFD).

In your refreshing of (no doubt heavy) boxes over the years did you ever try the later iterations of Croft (an easy to maintain valve amp)? I only mention this because after trying many SS amps in my system including Naim, the Rega Elex-R, Roksan K2BT pre/power, Arcam and so on - I found that Croft was so much ahead of the game! But I've never (and never will because I am happy with the Croft) listened to an LFD. Just an interesting observation.

Acoustic sound sacd player
Audience au24 into
New audio frontiers 300b supreme special edition
With hms gran finale top match mkII bi wire cables into
Nightingale concentus open baffle speakers. All Fed by two Lumley audio silver power cables. Sacd player on custom stand with heavy slate top plate.
Amp on heavy slate top plate sitting on two living voice auditorium bases.

Interesting, you name suggests a liking to valve amplification, and the implication in this post that you have had 'years' of experience with valve amps, but now you run solid state (in the form of an LFD).

In your refreshing of (no doubt heavy) boxes over the years did you ever try the later iterations of Croft (an easy to maintain valve amp)? I only mention this because after trying many SS amps in my system including Naim, the Rega Elex-R, Roksan K2BT pre/power, Arcam and so on - I found that Croft was so much ahead of the game! But I've never (and never will because I am happy with the Croft) listened to an LFD. Just an interesting observation.

Yes it must seem a bit strange. My name was actually from my p.o.v., more a reference to my long association with valve amps by sheer dint of age, rather than anything else. My first mobile disco operated on LEAK TL50s in dual mono, and my first recordplayer had a little valve amp.

I'm not a box swapper and I stuck with Papworth Audio Technology M100 monoblocks for almost 2 decades, only changing the preamp and a few other bits occasionally. Brand loyalty, bloody mindedness and laziness all played a part. I occasionally dropped in other bits and pieces, like a very nice old Rogers Cadet, odd SS things like QUAD and also the hugely underrated Papworth MVH-200 hybrid.

Along the way, I've heard many, many valve amps. ( Including Glenn Croft's products, Art Audio, EAR, Graaf, Cary etc., etc.) Many were frankly dire, a few were inspiring. The very best were usually highly expensive, or potentially costly long term. Popping an odd EL34 at a tenner or less is one thing, switching on to find one of a matched pair or 300Bs has gone south must be heart (and bank) breaking. I'm not ruling out getting a half decent valve integrated at at some point in the future, or even a valve power, and using my LFD as a pre, but...

In the end I decided that as I approach 70, I wanted a simplified but good sounding system. I sold on the massive Papworth monos, an even bigger TEAC CD drive and settled for a nice integrated LFD and an unhurried approach to streaming for digital.

The LFD was not cheap. I budgeted £3k for an amp and the LFD slightly bust that, but it blew several other contenders in the £2-3k range into the weeds
with my speakers and room

I have a lot of things I need to get done and I want to be able to listen to music with minimum 'faff' whilst I'm still capable.

Also, I've heard so much stuff at shows, bake offs, friends homes, dealers etc., etc., that I've accepted what I always knew anyway. There is no 'perfect system'. It is fun playing with kit and buggering about with tweaks, accessories, endless set up changes etc., etc., but in the end it is about the music. I can now sit back and leave the geekiness to a younger generation.

I'll just content myself with sniping from the sidelines.. ;)

Mull

Naim ND5 XS + Chord Hugo into HiLine
Naim 252 + SCDR + 250.2 into NACA5
Martin Logan Electromotions ESLs

This year will upgrade to NDX and DR the power amp.

IPod Classic 120G, Onkyo NS-D1 dock
Schiit Bifrost DAC
Croft Micro Basic pre amp
Croft Series 7 power amp
Proac Response 1SC on Atacama 24" stands

Vinyl. Basis 2200,Vector 4 arm,Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11 phono.
Digital,Jolida dac,Denon 2800, mini DSP DDRC-22A.
Amp. Pathos Logos modified.
Speakers,Amphion Xenon.

advertisement

Back