advertisement

What is your current system? part III

larzyh

pfm Member
Shane2468 - bought it second hand some years ago in my native Denmark. I think it's about mid-80's vintage. Don't know what "passive" means in relation to tuners.

AndrewM - I bought the Nap 90 from a fellow PFM'er in a quest to complete the second system but it ended up currently playing in my main system.

I actually have neither room nor need for a second system but I hate disposing of my beloved equipment!
Truthfully, I still have that old 626 I mentioned in the attic - it was a lovely looking amp/tuner - wood case, more buttons to play with than a bmw - tone controls, two levels of high pass filter, rumble filter, tuner presets, speaker selectors, I could go on....:) the speaker outlets are DIN speaker plugs - titchy little plugs with one blade and one pin in them for 40w/channel! The original speaker cable was thinner than bell wire! Had a Conneisseur BD2 TT with it (with a Shure in it I think).
I haven't dared switch it on for years, it probably sounds cr*p, but I'd hate to throw it out. I thought it was the bees knees when I got it - I suppose it was, compared to the cassette deck I had up to then (Sony TC 133 with speakers in the lid.)
I get the upgrade itch occasionally but something about my current system has kept me loyal for the past 18 years - somehow it seems to have achieved a synergy I'm loath to upset. I'm not a Naim true believer like some -but its rugged and reliable and it works for me, so , hey, I can mostly spend any spare cash on music (mostly classical, jazz) these days, not boxes, and sit back and enjoy it.

Thorens TD 160
Linn Basic+
AT 140LC

Naim CDX2
Naim Nat 05
Nak BX1

Naim Nac 72 ( with Neil's boards )
Naim Hi-Cap
Naim Nap 135 ( CB )
Totem Mani-2

Totem, Target and Sound Org stands.

In Closet

Naim Nait 1
Naim Nac 32.5 (72'd)
Naim Nap 160
Linn Mimik II
Linn Kan 1
Linn Kan II stands
some non noteworthy bits...

AT33 PTG
LP12/Ittok II with Mose/Hercules
Thorens TD150 II/Nima in Henk plinth
CA 640P phono stage

Meridian 507 CD player
Pioneer CDR 609 CD recorder

Upsampling CA DacMagic

MF Nu-vista M3 amp with uprated power supply

PMC OB1 standing on Asda's finest dark granite chopping boards

With the recently bought source components (LP12, AT33PTG, Mose/Hercules and also Meridan) I've been surprised just how musical this lot sounds, listened to some Can on LP and amazed at the level of detail, dynamics, soundstage yet all sounding gloriously together. Likewise the Meridian has challenged my notions of what CD can sound like.

Will soon decide whether I prefer the Nima or Ittok as will soon be selling one of the decks and one arm to recover some of the dosh I've recently splashed out.

Another update...

Primary
Source
LP12/Mose/Cetech/SDS+3mm Achromat/Black Ittok LVIIMk2 (Cardas'd)/Jelco Cable/AT33PTG
Denon DVD-2910
Intel Atom/Linux Jukebox / M-AUDIO Audiophile USB soundcard
Beresford DAC
TEAC V6030S​
Amplification
NVA Phono 1
Cyrus aCA7.5
2 x Crimson 630D​
Speakers
Tannoy Definition D700
Secondary
Source
Technics SL-1210Mk3D/Achromat/RB300 (Incognito'd)/ATOC9
Marantz CD6000KI (lightly modded)
Moodlab DAC​
Amplification
Rega Fono MC (homebrew PSU)
NVA AP20​
Speakers
Tannoy Profile 635+, AKA Definition D50​

marantz pm17 ki signature amp
marantz pm17 ki signature cd player
castle richmond 7i speakers
nordost gold mk11 speaker cable
nordost red dawn interconnect

this may be an old system but still sounds fantastic and natural today as it did when i first brought it.
anyone got any tips to improve my so

Meridian 500 Transport
Lavry Black DA10

Berning ZH270

Usher 718be Tiny Dancers

All bought used (life before the forums was new only!), and absolutely immensely more satisfying than my previous systems, though this has cost me considerably less. Really very happy with the enjoyment I get now...

From the USA

Source :
Avid Diva II/SME 345/Dv XX2 MK2
Tandberg TD 20A
Nakamichi BX 300
Cambridge Audio Azur 640c v2
Adcom GFT 555 II

Preamp:
Juicy Music Blueberry Extreme
Cinemag sut

Amp:
Nos Valves VRD st45 using kt88's

Speakers:
Klipsch Lascala's with BEC 4500 type A crossovers with BEC tweeter

Nottingham Analogue Interspace
Rega RB 1000
Ortofon 2M Blue
Heed Questar

Linn Karik & Numerik
Arcam CD73T (Reserve until Karik is repaired)

Leben CS300

Klipsch Heresy II

Graham

At this moment in time:

A) Vinyl Source

* None

B) Digital Source

* Naim CDS3
* Apple airport express
* Squeeze box / custom PSU

C) Other Sources

* FM Tuner: Naim NAT01 / XPS2T

D) Amplification

* Pre-amp: Naim NAC 552
* Power Amp: Naim NAP 500

E) Speakers

* Naim NBL

F) Cable Loom

* Speaker Cables: Wire
* Power Cords: Wire
* Power Cords (other): Wire
* Mains Line Filter: Wire

Linn Sondek LP12 Valhalla (soon to have MOSE/Hercules 2)
Origin Live Silver Mk2
Denon DL110

Linn Karik 3
Linn Numerik DAC

Naim NAC62
Naim NAP140 (soon to be NAP160 - or 250 if my bro in law will let me have my old one back)
Naim Hicap

Linn Kan Mk1's

Really like the Linn/Naim sound and can't wait until next week try it all properly as I've only just had the Linn LP12 :)

a) Vinyl Source

~ Linn LP12/Naim Aro/Dynavector XX2/Naim Armageddon

b) Digital Source

~ Densen XS CD Player with Gizmo

c) Other Sources

~ A&R Camebridge T21 Tuner (got this in 1976 - still sounds amazing & stacks up well 33 years later!)

~ Blackberry Bold 9000 (sounds better than my ipod and I can talk to people on it)

d) Amplification

~ Dynavector LS300 Pre amp (got this about a month ago fu**ing amazing)

~ Naim Audio 300 Power amp

~ Dynavector P300 Phonostage (got this about a month ago fu**ing amazing)

e) Speakers

~ Shahinian Obelisk

F) Cables/Interconnects

~ Mogarmi (by phonography of Winchester)

g) Furniture

~ Hutter

Thought I'd better get round to this as I've been here 4 years now..

LP12/Akito/Ortofon 2M Red/Cambridge 640P
Naim CDS2/52/135's
Headline/Hi-Cap/ Senn 650's or Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi's
Shahinian Arcs
Uber-Corras

I'm quite pleased with my latest project, the hidden wall shelf, even if I say so myself!

Sid & Coke's old LP12 still going strong. I'm swithering between upgrading it with a J7 built Audio Origami PU7 arm, or moving it on and scratching the Well Tempered/Dynavector itch. This may well extend to the amps going in favour of Dynavector too. Alternatively I might spend the dough on more dub records and sweets.

It was to alleviate a footfall problem for the record deck more than anything else - plus the CD player seems not to care whether it's placed on a rack, the floor, or elsewhere.

(Plus, umm, I was too dense to think of doing that at the time.. seems obvious now. )

advertisement

Back