advertisement

What is the value of your hifi compared to your annual salary / income?

Maybe the question should be “What proportion of your total assets is your hifi?”

Lol possibly.

I’d honestly have no idea as don’t know what my bricks and mortar are worth.

I’d say my bikes are on a level playing field with the hifi. Probably get as much enjoyment out of both.

Have to say I never mention what I’m spending on my hifi. We do split income exactly 50:50 though so she can spend her spare dosh on whatever she likes.

I discuss large purchases like the c.d player I got last year. I also used the ears of The Wife to get a second opinion on the c.d. player sound reproduction.
On the whole, The Wife hears improvements, although not always when I move the speakers half an inch…
We do have separate bank accounts though, I think The Wife would laugh if I suggested merging them. Wife earns stupid money* when she can be bothered, which often she can’t.

(*stupid money from my point of view)

I discuss large purchases like the c.d player I got last year. I also used the ears of The Wife to get a second opinion on the c.d. player sound reproduction.
On the whole, The Wife hears improvements, although not always when I move the speakers half an inch…
We do have separate bank accounts though, I think The Wife would laugh if I suggested merging them. Wife earns stupid money* when she can be bothered, which often she can’t.

(*stupid money from my point of view)

Lol at The Wife.

We have a joint account for the bills and still separate accounts. Prefer it that way. But disposable income is pretty much sliced down the middle. She can buy cushions, pottery and artwork, I can buy hifi, music, bikes and rucksacks!

That is her preferred title. :)
Joking aside - it is what she is happy to be referred to as, on a hifi forum. I asked her.

Coincidentally, The Wife buys a lot of art, including ceramics.
I just make art… o_O

Brilliant!

I think we actually need a second home as we have so much. When my late father-in-law sold his animations business, he then got hooked on ceramics to the extent that he had a pottery and shop next door to Jools Holland in Blackheath. He got into raku too, so we have some amazing pieces in the house, along with a lorry load of stuff she’s bought!

About 3% to replace, I do have a lot of DIY stuff and bits older than me. Strangely, only last night did I realise that the only DIY in my hifi atm are a Paradise Phono stage and a PI4 streamer (not really DIY, but I had to screw bits together!).
What's happened to your PFM Specials?

Retired hurt so difficult to say, but at last wage (social worker/councillor) current rig 400%.
Couple of wills, house sale and pension payout helped, don’t drink, drive , smoke, plus largely housebound so music gets it all.
Swings and roundabouts.

Brilliant!

I think we actually need a second home as we have so much. When my late father-in-law sold his animations business, he then got hooked on ceramics to the extent that he had a pottery and shop next door to Jools Holland in Blackheath. He got into raku too, so we have some amazing pieces in the house, along with a lorry load of stuff she’s bought!

:)

We do not have enough space for it all. Got an Elizabeth Frink print that needs space making for soon (I love it as well…)

It doesn’t help that we know a potter/ceramicist as well. We have 10-15 pieces of her work.
The Wife collects glass pieces as well, particularly Scandinavian work.
Keeps her happy.

What's happened to your PFM Specials?
Don't worry James they are downstairs doing home theater duty, thunderous bass, really wonderful.

Lately they have been driven by my KSA50 clone which really does "grip" them. I did try a Pass Lab F5T but found it super bright.

It depends whether you prefer to listen to hifi or music. For me, the hifi is the means, and music is the ends. Your priorities, and those of your friends, may differ. Streaming changes the cost equation, but I'm not about to sell of my record collection anytime soon.

I personally know no one who prefers to listen to Hi-Fi over music. Is that a thing? I just mean you can’t generalise and say you 'should' spend more on music. The person I am thinking of is a huge jazz fan and pre-streaming had around 500 perfectly curated jazz CDs costing a few thousand pound and a multi ten thousand pound system, as he wanted to listen to them through the best system he could afford.

So many people, especially in the Hi-Fi hobby it seems, use their own judgements and say that what they do is the 'right' way and people 'should' behave that way otherwise they are doing things 'wrong'. It’s fine to spend more on a Hi-Fi than music, and it does not mean you are listening to a Hi-Fi and not music.

It’s rapidly becoming a redundant debate anyway as in the streaming age the cost of content is £150 a year, which for most music lovers will be considerably less than they spent on physical and for audiophiles it will likely be a lot less than they spend on their Hi-Fi.

advertisement

Back