advertisement

What is the value of your hifi compared to your annual salary / income?

I cannot rememember all the prices of items purchased over twenty years, but I consider it a good investment when you consider enjoyment and resale value. Quality Hi-Fi is more durable compared to other electronic devices . My set up would also cost in today's money 50% of my annual pension.
P.S. The question also brings to mind a bumper sticker in the back window of a full size Tonka truck. "HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS"
I thought that quote was attributed to Frank Sinatra?

Gosh. I could replace all my kit within a couple of weeks of earnings. With room to spare. Perhaps I am not playing with real hifi then? Actually replacing the LPs and CDs would cost more, and neither collection is very big …probably around 300 LPs and maybe 400 CDs..

echo the lowly civil servant comments as that is my current status with covid having destroyed my career( as well being a trade union rep).

I buy my stuff used at bargain prices either as needing work or well used, so value not huge tbh

At retail possibly half the price of my house. Bought used and wisely about a fifth of the value of my house. At my old salary no big deal but since another Tory scam screwed my pension, no chance of replacing it with anything that cost a fraction of the price. Just as well I'm happy with it.

Possibly quite a big difference between percentage at the time you bought it, percentage at salary high post purchase and percentage post retirement (I’m betting quite a few PFMers are retired).

Well it used to be at about £20k now about £4k SH value. But I'm not earning much. Oddly I don't miss it other than The ToToman refurbed Ditton 66s.

Quite a few of us Civil Servants here. At a guess my systems are perhaps 15% of my annual income (which is far from high pay). Go figure

That is approx s/h replacement value.

I am a Hifi bottom feeder.

My system is worth about 15% of my annual salary. I spent about 35% chasing audio nirvana - that includes my small ill-fated investment that evaporated in the Czech Republic. If I had to buy kit of the same quality today, it would probably be around 30% of my annual salary.

As I now work part-time on a low wage, I reckon the secondhand value of my hi-fi is about 75% of my annual income. The benefit is I’m able to spend more time at home listening to it.

Difficult to say, do you value from the list price or the ex dem prices for the more recent purchases? How do you value a 40-year-old much-upgraded turntable? Then there are the CD player and FM tuner, kept just in case. Then there is the second system. Let's say it is scarily close to my current income but as the foundation of it was bought whilst still working less so.

However, as I am on a vocational pension and mortgage-free and a couple of recent purchases came from covid saving (the silver lining to being Clinically Extremely Vulnerable) this was very affordable, but if I was younger and still paying a massive mortgage, I wouldn't have the system I have. So feel very fortunate.

The new prices value of my Hifi is approx twice my annual salary. My record collection is worth about 1.5x. Couldn’t care less, it brings me a lot of joy. Needless to say, I haven’t paid nearly that much for it. Bar the deck and cartridge, everything is second hand and carefully bought.

advertisement

Back