Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the value of your hifi compared to your annual salary / income?

Discussion in 'audio' started by JezmondTutu, Mar 1, 2022.

1. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

I think I’m at around 50% of my annual salary for the main rig.

Maybe I need to upgrade? :D:D:D

Zombie and Snufkin like this.
  2. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Two words: disproportionately high!

wow&flutter, Brian S and JezmondTutu like this.
  3. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

lol!

Naturally it depends what you earn - I’m a lowly Civil Servant.

4. ssimon

ssimon pfm Member

I cannot rememember all the prices of items purchased over twenty years, but I consider it a good investment when you consider enjoyment and resale value. Quality Hi-Fi is more durable compared to other electronic devices . My set up would also cost in today's money 50% of my annual pension.
    P.S. The question also brings to mind a bumper sticker in the back window of a full size Tonka truck. "HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS"

JezmondTutu likes this.
  5. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

about 25%, but then i dont earn masses in local govt

6. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Given that many have posted what their systems consist of, be careful if you don’t wish to publicise your income!

7. chris geary

chris geary pfm Member

with the exception of the LP-12, Ittok, Kairn and 1 Klout, which were purchased new 20 + years ago, the bulk of the system has been purchased used, at substantial discount. So, current system value is a small fraction of my lowly civil servant salary.

Darren L and david ellwood like this.
  8. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

HaHa - good point!

9. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

Are we talking in terms of replacement as new value or what you actually paid for it?

For me that would be the difference between about 20% and 100%

nmtjb likes this.
  10. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

I don't actually know, it's been acquired over a long time frame, some new and some pre owned. I don't think I've ever spent over 15% of my annual income in one year

11. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

Based on what I paid, it looks like my main system sits at 114% of my annual salary.

12. herb

herb brain's right hemisphere

50% of my pensions, and should be more.

13. Based on my salary alone (excluding benefits), my kit cost 5.6% of my annual salary. If I had to replace it like for like, it would cost 18% of my annual salary.

Cheers BB

14. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

I am receiving state PIP or whatever it is called - disabled thingy.

I don’t know what my hifi is worth.

My ears are priceless.

15. Somafunk

Somafunk pfm Member

If I’m taking the entire cost including room treatment then approx 50% of yearly income (pip/disability), although I did sell my mk2 golf road/track car last year which paid for everything.

16. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Sounds like you need to upgrade!

leni likes this.
  17. rag987

rag987 pfm Member

Is that gross or after HMRC have taken their cut? I would say about 50% of my take-home as an "insurance replacement value", though some of the stuff has been with me for many years so I would have purchased at a lower price.

18. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Me too, I ate one sour too.

I'm not answering this question, but am delighted at exactly how little I have spent, despite owning some very nice things.

wintoid, chiily, Darren and 1 other person like this.
  19. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Gross, replacement cost. A slightly silly post I guess!

20. Michael Steen

Michael Steen Militis

With most of my hifi 40 years old, very little to nothing. Better to ask how much I have spent on LPs and CDs over the same period. The music is precious, the hifi just a means of listening, the room treatment for aesthetics only - I prefer to give more of my "income" away to Charity than I would ever spend on unnecessary "upgrades".

leni likes this.