advertisement

What is the sound quality of Spotify like?

Sovereign

pfm Member
I have not known too much about spotify, but after spending 20 minutes on the site I can clearly see how it could really open up my enjoyment of music very very quickly.

If I opt for the top level 'membership" for £10 a month what is the overall sound quality like?

The quality is potentially superb but you are at the mercy of the file they decide to stream.
Lots of great material available though and a superb service for a tenner.

I use it most of the time. On the occasion I compare it directly to CD I notice Spotify is a little less sharp and clean, but I can't say I find it less enjoyable to listen to. I don't hear 'artefacts' as you can sometimes with lesser MP3s, it just seems a bit rounder.

Simon, you left yourself logged in the other day so I've been listening to your play lists.
Very nice :D

A pal has it, it's pretty good. Behind CD but only a shade. Leave the room, come back, and say whether it's CD or Spotify, forget it.

Apart from spotify;

Have you listened to Linn Radio streamed at 320kbps? They have 3 different music choices being;

Linn Radio
Linn Jazz
Linn Classical

All free, no advertising or talking during the broadcast streamed music, sounds excellent through my hi-fi system...

Give it a whirl, it's superb!!

I find it somewhat amusing that there are innumerable fights and discussions on pfm regarding high end stuff yet you guys spend £120 a year listening to 320kbs files and then extol the virtues of such files.
This is not a criticism but just an observation!

Simon

I use it most of the time. On the occasion I compare it directly to CD I notice Spotify is a little less sharp and clean, but I can't say I find it less enjoyable to listen to. I don't hear 'artefacts' as you can sometimes with lesser MP3s, it just seems a bit rounder.

That's exactly the way I find it.

I find it somewhat amusing that there are innumerable fights and discussions on pfm regarding high end stuff yet you guys spend £120 a year listening to 320kbs files and then extol the virtues of such files.

Simon

Spotify (for me) isnt about the sound quality.. Its about discovering more music that I (might) like.

Sam

Spotify (for me) isnt about the sound quality.. Its about discovering more music that I (might) like.

Sam

I understand that and I agree but I'm always intrigued at how there are guys on here that spend fortunes on seeking nirvana but then realise that actually the convenience factor counts for something after all. I have done the same by using my SB+ for 95% of my listening. I cannot remember the last time I listened to a CD or vinyl.

Simon

That's it exactly. I've used it to listen to something to see if I like it - if I do, I'll buy the CD/vinyl version. If not, ho hum. I've spent a good deal more than £120 on CDs that will only see the player once.

Me too Simon.

I listen to computer stored music and spotify (and you tube music recordings... (where else can I see a 1957 Coltrane concert on demand?).. almost exclusively..

...but then I put the record player on about 4 days ago, and yes, it sounds waay better with a good pressing.

...the question is how much this is outweighed by music choice.

Quality vs choice
That depends who you are. One of the happiest music consumers I ever knew was a woman with a houseful of records and CDs, and a £400 midi system. She loved that thing, and played it endlessly. Equally, some aren't happy until they are hearing the last subtleties of their favourite test track, and this is where it starts to lean away from music and towards another hobby.

Many hobbies are like this. One motorcyclist may spend all his time tuning his machine until it is a shining jewel that goes better than any other. He may do 500 miles a year. Another may have a ragtag and bobtail thing covered in oil that he rides everywhere, winter and summer, and loves to bits. Who's right? Both of them, of course.

Simon

Hi Simon

I'm just curious thats all, I'm wanting some advice from those who have taken the plunge before I commit to spending £10 pcm. I don't want to sign up to something that will frustrate me. It's not so much the £10 pcm I'm concerned about if the service is good, it's the waste of money if it's not.

Rest assured, it's good. You have access to an effectively limitless music library at a more than adequate quality level. A transistor radio it certainly is not. I'd put it at least up there with a decent FM tuner, and ahead of a compact cassette.

advertisement

Back