advertisement

What is sublime?

herb

brain's right hemisphere
In recent exchanges I see people describe the sound of Class A amps as sublime. My thoroughly brutal ATC integrated is Class A for 2/3 of its 150 wpc output according to ATC. I guess that it is not true class A or it would run hotter than it does. To me sublime equals boring, that is what I hear at dealers and shows.

On the other hand. Rough sorts have a greeting around here “alright?” they say. “Sublime deary” I giggle back. My age has saved me from a number of good-natured beatings…

In recent exchanges I see people describe the sound of Class A amps as sublime. My thoroughly brutal ATC integrated is Class A for 2/3 of its 150 wpc output according to ATC. I guess that it is not true class A or it would run hotter than it does. To me sublime equals boring, that is what I hear at dealers and shows.

Sublime in Kant is defined as the special emotion that we feel when we become directly aware of the enormity and grandeur of nature - when we see a huge mountain range for example.

This is what I feel when I listen to my Krell and ESLs.

Sublime in Kant is defined as the special emotion that we feel when we become directly aware of the enormity and grandeur of nature - when we see a huge mountain range for example.

This is what I feel when I listen to my Krell and ESLs.

I remember my 1970s Kenwood Trio tuner/Quad 33 303 ESL57 /Akai open real tape recorder and Radio 3 (?) as being my best sounding system with classical music. I guess I have become too much of a flat earther now, too old to change.

My thoroughly brutal ATC integrated is Class A for 2/3 of its 150 wpc output according to ATC. I guess that it is not true class A or it would run hotter than it does.

Yes, I’d question that. For comparison have a look at the passive heatsinks a Krell KSA 80 needs, or for that matter my 30 Watt Pass:

51479487615_b672a7a0d0_b.jpg

I’m sure the ATC is a really good amp, but I don’t see how you can do anything like 100 Watts of class A with the heatsinking it has. From what I can tell the overwhelming majority of amps that claim to be just aren’t. It’s one reason when I eventually scratched an itch to try one I went for the Pass as is a remarkably simple and well documented single-ended class A amp.

Many years ago I was lying in the bath with my cheap transistor radio playing and heard by accident a live broadcast of Shostakovich's 4th symphony, a piece unknown to me before then. The sound quality wasn't up to much... but the music and its performance made that irrelevant. I was transported; my musical imagination filled in the missing bits of the sound.

I think that experience might reasonably be labelled "sublime".

'Sublime' is what happens when a solid idea transforms to masses of hot air on an audio forum without passing through the intermediate stage of critical reception.

I jest.

Anyway, ATC's class-A claim has always had a whiff of ashley talks crap - they - the integrated, which is the same basic design as the active speaker amp packs designed iircby Tim Isaacs, and solid - are mosfet amps: and as such need to run a bit of healthy bias out of necessity, but certainly not enought to meet the headline claim: c. 120-150ma/output pair/ channel would be about right.

I suspect someone long ago spotted the amp packs might dissipate 30-40w /channel in total at idle and conflated it with idea that since that's about a third of the rated output, so they are class A up that far - which certainly is not true. It could just about be an honest mistake at marketing level... just.

Anyway, ATC's class-A claim has always had a whiff of ashley talks crap - they - the integrated, which is the same basic design as the active speaker amp packs designed iircby Tim Isaacs, and solid - are mosfet amps: and as such need to run a bit of healthy bias out of necessity, but certainly not enought to meet the headline claim: c. 120-150ma/output pair/ channel would be about right.

I suspect someone long ago spotted the amp packs might dissipate 30-40w /channel in total at idle and conflated it with idea that since that's about a third of the rated output, so they are class A up that far - which certainly is not true. It could just about be an honest mistake at marketing level... just.

Hence class AB, class A,,,, But.

IIRC the ATC SIA-150 dissipates about 100W when idling, so 50W/channel. The theoretical efficiency of a Class A amplifier is 25% if I remember correctly, which suggests possibly the first 12.5 watts or so might be class A (very roughly). This still means in practice for many users the amplifier remains in class A for much or all of the time.

Many years ago I was lying in the bath with my cheap transistor radio playing and heard by accident a live broadcast of Shostakovich's 4th symphony, a piece unknown to me before then. The sound quality wasn't up to much... but the music and its performance made that irrelevant. I was transported; my musical imagination filled in the missing bits of the sound.

I think that experience might reasonably be labelled "sublime".

I remember motoring along in my noisy Reliant three wheeler and On Wenlock Edge by RVW came on the radio. I was transported elsewhere, and still am when I play the CD.:)

IIRC the ATC SIA-150 dissipates about 100W when idling, so 50W/channel. The theoretical efficiency of a Class A amplifier is 25% if I remember correctly, which suggests possibly the first 12.5 watts or so might be class A (very roughly). This still means in practice for many users the amplifier remains in class A for much or all of the time.

That's how I use mine in a flat above a neighbour's bedroom. It is not so much the volume that is a problem, it is the avant garde type of jazz/classical music I play.

Actually I'm wrong - just consulted the manual which says 230VA when powered (idling). This has had the effect of making me feel more guilty about leaving it on for most of the day.

advertisement

Back