advertisement

What is still truely British today?

I am quite certain that the company is now Indian owned but as to manufacture, I was going by post no. 73, which intimates that they are not made here anymore.

I should be clear and say I have no inside info, Im just a neighbour.

The old factory was clearly a manufacturing facility, but this new place appears as I described it. That doesn't mean Im right though. They have actually moved twice in the last year, since leaving the estate in station road.

My self built transistor amplifiers, most of the parts by cost are U.K including Enclosures, Transformers, PCB, PSU caps, Power FETS and design.

Not sure about service, they have not gone wrong yet:)

Yeah, but I'm sure you will (like I will) need to recap them at some-point. As you've built your amplifier, you should be able to recap them easily and cheaply.

Andrew

But what about some of the names bandied about here, as being 'totally British' and yet making certain of their products ....in Asia? ...and Quad.

Not even remotely British any more..not sine the mid 90s...

In 1995, QUAD Electroacoustics Ltd was bought by Verity Group plc, joining its existing brands of Wharfedale and Mission. A few changes were made, including shifting all production to Shenzhen China, managed in the UK by an accountant with little interest in Hi-Fi or engineering

In September 1997 the company changed ownership again as Verity Group sold off businesses to finance its development of flat panel loudspeakers. With Wharfedale it became part of the International Audio Group under the management of Bernard and Michael Chang. Its products continue to be made entirely in China and it is now debatable whether or not Quad can any longer be considered a truly British hi-fi producer

That is a shame. I heard that the company has been owned by an Indian company for a couple of years now but I thought the speakers might still be assembled here. Apparently not and that would explain the very different construction and styling of the new ranges.
There's certainly Indian money in Spendor, but I am pretty certain that everything is still made in the UK. They moved to a bigger factory this year.

Musical Fidelity hasn't been "all British" since 1990 when they started importing complete PCB assemblies from Asia. Nowadays, I think everything is Asian built.

isn't audio note UK owned by a danish chap?

He is Danish, and an economist by trade. Resides in UK I believe. The HQ used to be opposite my office in Hove and they had a factory not far away.

Exposure were/are in Portslade and Anatek in Worthing (?). Harbeth in Lindfield, just outside Haywards Heath.

Are Celestion still about? I know they were based in Ipswich.

Quote "In September 1997 the company changed ownership again as Verity Group sold off businesses to finance its development of flat panel loudspeakers. With Wharfedale it became part of the International Audio Group under the management of Bernard and Michael Chang. Its products continue to be made entirely in China and it is now debatable whether or not Quad can any longer be considered a truly British hi-fi producer"

The service dept (under IAG banner AFAIK) still does good work in Huntingdon.

REL is American now.
Onix as in makers of the Onix SP3 valve amp is Australian.
So I am led to believed.
Got an old Crimson Electric kit amp from the 70's, maybe that is British, or English, depending on ones point of view.

Spendor? Harbeth? REL? I would've thought so.

...sent from Canada, home of Bryston, Totem, Simaudio, Classe and Clairtone!!!

Not so fast, Classé which is now owned by B&W, was born 32 years ago in Montreal and will lay off their loyal employees to shift production in Asia.

Thanks Classé:mad:

Onix never had Australian ownership or indeed if the amp was really made in Australia. Onix was at that time Taiwanese and as such I heard the Taiwanese were not controlling or monitoring the name well , so in essence it was may not genuine or even something to do with Onix . IE from the company Onix in the UK .

Trade mark compromise has now stopped as the trade names are wrapped up and registered in most corners of the planet.

The Onix SP3 was designed and engineered
by Melody of Australia. The assembly is done
in the South of China.

Musical Fidelity hasn't been "all British" since 1990 when they started importing complete PCB assemblies from Asia. Nowadays, I think everything is Asian built.

My recently bought Musical Fidelity V-DAC is made in Taiwan. I think most Musical Fidelity components after the first circular shape X series have been made in Taiwan.

advertisement

Back