advertisement

What is Naim Lavender interconnect?

Julian H

pfm Member
Hi

Anyone got any ideas what cable this is that Naim use? I need a 3m length [maybe 2 x 3m lengths if successful] and Naim only sell preterminated interconnects which does not suit my intended use.

I do realise that there are numerous alternatives available but I particularly want to run some experiments with this cable, not others.

Thanks, Julian

Naim interconnects are usually a maximum of about 1.2m long and since 1989 have the lock ring din plugs on them.

Some carry audio and power and are known as Snaics. These are usually either 4 pin or 5 pin 240 degree pin configuration.

Early ones before about 2002 were grey, newer ones were black.
Same cable, it's just Bicc who made the cable changed the outer sheath colour.
Claims of sound quality difference are usually down to the fact that the grey ones are correspondingly older, and usually the din plug pins are more tarnished!

The other interconnects that naim used are those that carry signal only ie. no power.
These usually have thinner cable (about 5mm outside diameter as supposed Snaics which are about 7mm diameter).

The signal only interconnects usually have 5 pin 180 degree din plugs.

The cable used on these was always grey due to naim's chosen supplier. I believe it is these leads that are nicknamed lavender.

If looking at older leads - aways clean the pins and check for fractured solder joints.

All naim din leads made before the end of 1989 ( when the olive range kit was launched) used the older style latching din plugs with a little catch and not a ring to lock them in.

With these, due to age cleanliness of pins is even more of an issue.

There is no rocket science with any of these leads and I have used longer ones up to about 4m using same type of plugs and cable.

Being din there is a lot of practice needed in soldering and care in the way the screen is grounded.
If you carefully cut open an old lead you will see how it's done.
It takes about an hour to make and test such a lead - so you will see where the cost comes from if based on uk labour rates and profit margins!

Hi Julian, try asking the question on the DIY section. This has been asked before but I can't seem to find it on a quick search.

The lavender/grey interconnect cable is not made any more. Naim's supplier ceased manufacture a few years back. I believe Naim did a "lifetime buy" to ensure they have stocks for many years hence. I believe that Chord sourced their Chrysalis from the same manufacturer and had to discontinue.

A great shame because in the context of a Naim system, at the very least, it just works so very well.

A great shame because in the context of a Naim system, at the very least, it just works so very well.

Indeed it does. Last year, when my faulty Hiline went back, I got my old Lavender out of the loft and substituted it between Superline (or rather, S'cap) and 552.

I was really quite surprised. I think that all (or most?) interconnect cable were made by Chord in the early days.

Yes, I prefer the 4-5 interconnect over the Hi-line when used on a Prefix (between PSU and Pre-amp). However, on digital sources I prefer the Hi-line.

AFAIK Naim build all their cables in-house. The only Chord cables they have offered have been where RCAs are included - i.e. DIN - 4 RCA tape interconnect. The Chord cables are clearly marked Chord Cable Co. and have Chord RCAs.

I seem to remember reading on pfm that in some cases, like pre-amp > amp the cable seemed to be plain mains lead. Seems strange, but if it works.....

I seem to remember reading on pfm that in some cases, like pre-amp > amp the cable seemed to be plain mains lead. Seems strange, but if it works.....
Yes, the standard NAP250 lead was just 5A mains cable, and in fact the "Black" NAP250 lead I bought as an upgrade was black 5A main cable. Worked fine, and my whole active Isobarik system was wired with 5A mains leads when I was using the Linn x-over and Naim power amps.

Claims of sound quality difference are usually down to the fact that the grey ones are correspondingly older, and usually the din plug pins are more tarnished!

There were, in fact, differences - one of which was lower DC resistance.

Naim interconnects are usually a maximum of about 1.2m long and since 1989 have the lock ring din plugs on them.

Some carry audio and power and are known as Snaics. These are usually either 4 pin or 5 pin 240 degree pin configuration.

The other interconnects that naim used are those that carry signal only ie. no power.
These usually have thinner cable (about 5mm outside diameter as supposed Snaics which are about 7mm diameter).

The signal only interconnects usually have 5 pin 180 degree din plugs.

The cable used on these was always grey due to naim's chosen supplier. I believe it is these leads that are nicknamed lavender.

If looking at older leads - aways clean the pins and check for fractured solder joints.

All naim din leads made before the end of 1989 ( when the olive range kit was launched) used the older style latching din plugs with a little catch and not a ring to lock them in.

With these, due to age cleanliness of pins is even more of an issue.

There is no rocket science with any of these leads and I have used longer ones up to about 4m using same type of plugs and cable.

Being din there is a lot of practice needed in soldering and care in the way the screen is grounded.
If you carefully cut open an old lead you will see how it's done.
It takes about an hour to make and test such a lead - so you will see where the cost comes from if based on uk labour rates and profit margins!

Close, but not quite. A few points of order:

Black SNAICs were introduced in 1998 or 99. There was an initial run that was a harder cable sheath (shinier) and IIRC had green branding. The next run was softer sheathing, white imprint, and sounded better. This difference in black SNAICs was not publicised. Both sounded better than the grey SNAICs that preceeded them. SNAICs carry signal and sometimes power between power supplies and amps, and preamps. They were included with amplifiers and power supplies.

Remember, Cannon XLR connectors were used on the NAP250 and 135 SNAICs, rather than 240 degree DINs.

Black SNAICS were demonstrably better against new Grey SNAICS; the differences are not down to age of cables.

The NAIM interconnects were grey cable DIN-to-DIN connection, and were included with sources. The "lavender" interconnect came about in 2000 or 2001 (from memory); it wasn't fully pink, just had a slightly lavender tinge to it. It was a minor improvement over the original grey interconnects. It was the bees knees until the HiLine was introduced, and generally sought after by us Naim faithful. One only needed to buy one from one's dealer.

There was also ARO tonearm cable. This used to be available from select dealers in sexed pairs (ie matched direction), and was a COAX. It was absolutely *the sh*t* for connecting non-DIN components to your Naim, using a phono-to-DIN cable. The trick was it took a lot of patience to terminate the cable, stripping back the very tightly woven copper screen. I know, I built a tape solution cable. Masochist. I recall Tony's description as "gets out of the way of the signal, doesn't balls it up. Most neutral cable".

Hope that helps.

I don't remember naim doing SNAIC cables in anything other than black.
Grey and Lavender have always been signal interconnects to go from source to preamp/Nap

15 years or so (probably a bit longer) Naim started doing black SNAICs, before then they were all grey.

There were, in fact, differences - one of which was lower DC resistance.

This has to be a record for digging up a 5 year old thread.
Julian was sorted years ago.

Julian started this thread five years ago.
Its irrelevant now as he was sorted years ago.

f60f968070f21ba3f1b42d856e26a10f921fda19.jpg

The original grey cables with latching metal din plugs were also used in Tanberg Data computer systems - I acquired lots of spares back in the day :) Suspect like a most early Naim stuff it was straight out of the RS catalogue.

The Naim lavender interconnect is still available. I have just bought a new 4-5 lavender interconnect which was supplied new from the factory (via a dealer order)

advertisement

Back