advertisement

What is in your advent calendar?

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
Day 1 of the St Albans Beer shop advent calendar. We know them well, and asked them to curate a box of beers that they knew we would like and would challenge us a bit. Gave them a max budget

20211201_080426 by uh_simon, on Flickr

From Howling Hops Brewery, we have Portable Fanfare Hopped with Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic, this amazingly aromatic DIPA has all the tropical, peachy, citric vibes of our core pale ale, turned up to a juicy 8.1% for luxury drinking enjoyment.

placed in the beer fridge for later

A Lindt calendar although I would prefer gintonic's version even if I am off the beer currently. I did look at getting a whisky version but as I have more than 24 bottles of whisky currently, I can create my own.

So it will be a chocolate with a Ardbeg chaser later on

We have individual numbered gift bags for each day, I abhor this extravagant practice. Wife bought me a Cadbury advent calendar but I am refusing to take part, in my day they were just cheap cardboard with pictures.

We usually look out for the divine chocolates calendar for our daughter, but they can be hard to find in the US.

Mother in law has given the wife a Percy Pig one. On first glance I thought it was Peppa Pig but they’ve probably all been bought up for the Bojo sprogs

I got this one in the post.

Rather disappointing so far.

iu

This popped out of the window this morning. I don't recommend it on cornflakes. The wife's gin went down well though.

A jibe against atheists especially at this time of year, is that they are killjoys intent on sucking the enjoyment out of Xmas.
I'm an atheist. Quite a vocal one, as church organists go, and very well-read on the subject and that of Christianity.

Of my atheist acquaintances, I don't know any who do not enjoy Christmas. They see their families, exchange gifts and indulge just like everyone else.

The mid-winter festival which Christianity appropriated as Christmas (centuries after the mythical events described in Matthew and Luke), has been there for millennia. Mankind has long, long celebrated the winter solstice; a time of new hope and light to come. Literal re-birth. That the 4th century church appropriated the time of year is fairly obvious really.

So even if the hard core ever get the festival renamed (just not Winterval, I beg you), we will still celebrate the "most wonderful time of the year" as the song goes.

You obviously know some funny atheists.

I'm an atheist. Quite a vocal one, as church organists go, and very well-read on the subject and that of Christianity.

Of my atheist acquaintances, I don't know any who do not enjoy Christmas. They see their families, exchange gifts and indulge just like everyone else.

The mid-winter festival which Christianity appropriated as Christmas (centuries after the mythical events described in Matthew and Luke), has been there for millennia. Mankind has long, long celebrated the winter solstice; a time of new hope and light to come. Literal re-birth. That the 4th century church appropriated the time of year is fairly obvious really.

So even if the hard core ever get the festival renamed (just not Winterval, I beg you), we will still celebrate the "most wonderful time of the year" as the song goes.

You obviously know some funny atheists.
Methinks you miss the point of my crap joke!

Perhaps I should say that I am also quite a vocal atheist. I came to atheism having grown up going to Sunday School and religious summer camps where I won awards for knowing my bible. My atheism began as I got when old enough to start asking my Sunday School teachers questions and the answers made no sense.

I know very few people who would describe themselves as atheists, and there a very good reasons why one wouldn’t. I do mutter certain atheisms into my beard around Xmas time, but never loud enough to get into too much trouble.

I did once question someone on here who said that being totally honesty with your kids was always the best policy by asking them when they told their kids that Santa didn’t exist. I got Grinch response. It was a joke of course, but it does illustrate the point of my poorly articulated attempt at humour which was perhaps aimed at my own feelings about atheism and Xmas and not because of anything said by funny atheists

maybe my joke was about the sort of questions that Christmas must surely raise in the minds of atheists? Questions with some bitter answers if we get too deep into them? So we don’t

maybe I have only recently started to enjoy Xmas’?

Maybe I am a Grinch?

Or maybe it was just a crap joke?

My therapist is working through it with me.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back