advertisement

What is considered the best tonearm for a Michell Gyrodec??

I upgraded from Rega RB600 last year to SME IV and the presentation of music is much better. The Rega and their derivatives are amazing for the price but the Gyro is such a superb turntable that it is easily capable of revealing the difference a better arm makes. With the SME there's much more bass power, far better imaging and more detail too.

Birdseed

That's interesting. Without wishing in any way to 'diss' the SME, those improvememnts are exactly what I found when I went from an Audiomods 'Classic', to an Audiomods S5.

Anyone put an Orbe double spider on a Gryro? Is there an upgrade pack from Michell like the platter, clamp ones.
Yes, I did, only removing it as an upgrade by my Son and Daughter in law who gave us Grandson meant a full enclosed case was needed..
In my humble opinion if you have the full order platter kit with densodamp fitted it’s a must. With the densodamp I felt the bass got a bit..ploddy. Add the orbe spider seems to tighten the bottom end back up. When I removed the spider, I removed the densodamp, the orbe platter and clamp is all I use now.

Yes, I did, only removing it as an upgrade by my Son and Daughter in law who gave us Grandson meant a full enclosed case was needed..
In my humble opinion if you have the full order platter kit with densodamp fitted it’s a must. With the densodamp I felt the bass got a bit..ploddy. Add the orbe spider seems to tighten the bottom end back up. When I removed the spider, I removed the densodamp, the orbe platter and clamp is all I use now.

Can I ask where you sourced the double spider?

You can contact Michell Engineering direct, I've done that very thing myself this afternoon got myself a spider ordered I will then attempt the denso damp good luck :)

I upgraded from Rega RB600 last year to SME IV and the presentation of music is much better. The Rega and their derivatives are amazing for the price but the Gyro is such a superb turntable that it is easily capable of revealing the difference a better arm makes. With the SME there's much more bass power, far better imaging and more detail too.

Birdseed

This is of great interest to me, since i plan to upgrade to SME IV and currently i have audio origami fully modded rb250 with tecnoweight on my gyro. Did yo ucompare rb600 and SME IV with the same cartridge?

densodamp - one small trick is to divide the putty into 6 or more equal parts (kitchen scales are handy) and then apply each portion to an equal length of Gyro interior. Its a small thing, but it gets the distribution right. Otherwise you can (a) run out, or (b) imbalance the suspension.

Also, I found SoundDeadSteel pads under the three feet helped - the gyro is as solid as they come, but the pads made it more so.

I use a Moerch UP4 with Zyx Airy 3. The Moerch wipes the floor with the previous Rega and Jelco arms I had.

In what way? I have generally found the differences between most competent tonearms to be be somewhat overstated.

The Morch UP4 when I had my 401 a complete world apart from the Gyro was wonderful on a well recorded album the space and air between cymbals especially was amazing.
Something I'm trying to achieve with my current setup

The instruments just sound SO real. It is not so tolerant of poor recordings / pressings however.
My moerch 4up tracked everything even albums like Big Country The Crossing which I recieved as a birthday present way back when and has had a seriously hard life, teenage party's and so ono_O:eek::)

This is of great interest to me, since i plan to upgrade to SME IV and currently i have audio origami fully modded rb250 with tecnoweight on my gyro. Did yo ucompare rb600 and SME IV with the same cartridge?

Yes indeed, I checked both with my resident AT-OC9 MLII and the difference was obvious. Hope this helps.

Brg,

Birdseed

advertisement

Back