advertisement

What imperial sizes are close to M6 metric?

Sh*t - you guys are doing my head in...I just need some fecking bolts to hold me stands together :D

Sh*t - you guys are doing my head in...I just need some fecking bolts to hold me stands together :D
I've told you. 1/4 BSF, or just use M6 and don't overtighten them. Easy. Christ, if you were in Leeds I would have come round and done it for you!

I've told you. 1/4 BSF, or just use M6 and don't overtighten them. Easy. Christ, if you were in Leeds I would have come round and done it for you!

fairly sure what I have will strip - I can only bolt the stands on 2 of the 4 fasteners at the front edge, with a spacer at the back to maintain the 5mm of backward tilt they come with as stock.I order some 1/4 BSF tomorrow - thanks :)

How do you work that one out?
In a workshop with imperial, metric, number and letter drills, it just happend to be the number drills that were a best fit to BA tapping drill requirements.
What you are effectively saying is that there are no drills at tapping sizes for BA threads, just lucky happenstance that number drills do the job. That would be insane.
It would. That's why I didn't say it. Nice strawman though.

All I am saying (and I didn't think it would be controversial) is that any finely enough gradated set/system of drill bits, be it "number", metric, imperial, printers' points, or fractions of a furlong, would contain a drill that fitted the BA spec within the required tolerance.

It may be noted that the table you link to has quite large and nonconstant intervals between the number drills used for BA purposes.

BugBear

OK, I'm officially a fecking idiot - the Stand & Deliver ESL63 stands do use an M6 thread...

Originally I bought some M6 bolts...they were too short, so off I went to cellar and grabbed what I thought were some longer M6...it's the bolts that are not M6, just under - no idea what size :)

Sorry all - sanity is returned to my metric world, and I just bought some correct length M6 bolts from a local DIY place - the other ones are going in a labelled bag to avoid future confusion...

Thanks again, Richard

Oh, good: I was just going to add to all the help above, this being 'DIY" - now - what fastener style of M6 is it you require..?

fasteners.jpg

Oh, good: I was just going to add to all the help above, this being 'DIY" - now - what fastener style of M6 is it you require..?

fasteners.jpg
I have a photocopy of the "Ocker Bolts" catalogue offering the same thing. My dad used to be a craft teacher, he had a copy on the school workshop wall. One day a lad came to him with a rather abused bit of metal and said "I think I need one of those bolts there on that poster, have you got one?" He was apparently rather crestfallen when my dad explained that he needed to fix the problem with more conventional engineering methods, such as drilling the hole straight, the right size and in the right position to start with.

advertisement

Back