advertisement

What, if any, is the connection between Jazz and Maths?

There’s a lot of maths in all music. Rather than explain, I’ll post a link, which serves the twin purposes of saving me a lot of copy-and-pasting and subtly implying that I know all this stuff.

Maths teachers like jazz, basically because they're a bunch of weirdos. Geography teachers like prog, PE teachers like metal, English teachers like punk/new wave.

I attended my first ever rock gig with My Mate Steve (I believe everyone attends his first gig with His Mate Steve) - ELP, 1971. Steve’s English teacher was in the seat in front of me. He had previous, having apparently name-dropped ‘Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast’ during an English lesson.

Last edited:
not sure its just jazz and maths. jazz is not so different from other genres, and in fact is given to such a wide range of music now as to be almost useless.

so, yes, I think the connection is between music and maths.

but I do feel the "best"/ "most appealing" music is less obviously formulaic/strictly structured etc etc.

I do find music that is primarily intellectually conceived to be less attractive to me. So, much contemporary classical, for example.

One of the best books I have read on the relationship of maths, music and art is Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter. Hofstadter sees it more as a treatis on how cognition emerges, but the commonality in between the three is cleverly shown. Somewhat heavy going in parts, but worth sticking with.

You can get a free PDF here with you don't want to buy a hard copy:https://www.physixfan.com/wp-content/files/GEBen.pdf

Rock musicians need to count to 7 max, 5 should suffice. Jazz musicians need to go to 13.

One of the best books I have read on the relationship of maths, music and art is Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter. Hofstadter sees it more as a treatis on how cognition emerges, but the commonality in between the three is cleverly shown. Somewhat heavy going in parts, but worth sticking with.

You can get a free PDF here with you don't want to buy a hard copy:https://www.physixfan.com/wp-content/files/GEBen.pdf

I tried to read that once. It made my head hurt.

I’ve read about the link between music generally and maths, which has plausibility. Subjectively, I love jazz and was reasonably good at maths at school. Our lad is a M.Phys. with 1st class honors (so, mostly maths) and thinks jazz is a pile of ****y nonsense. He does though play a mean electric guitar and classical trumpet (post-grade 8).

Maths is relevant to all genres surely?
well I wasn't sure.
Maths can be constructed into plant growth forms of course, but thats quite artificial, since the plant did it's thing before we decided to add a Maths coding. The maths is just part of what's happening and only explains what, not how or why.

advertisement

Back