advertisement

What has pride of place in your collection and why?

For me it would be my John Coltrane Quartet vinyl collection on the Analogue Productions and ORG labels - mostly 2 x 45rpm editions. Only started collecting them last year but they’ve cost a fortune and I’ll always keep them.

Other than those I’d say my Japanese mono copy of Boom-Jackie Boom-Chick by the Paul Gonsalves Quartet is highly prized here too.

Completely agree with this. The pysch-rock vibes, Judy Dyble and Ian Matthews, real rock guitar from Richard Thompson - it just all works. All this disappeared when Sandy Denny arrived and they fell into the folk-rock groove that, frankly, Steeleye Span did better.
A wonderful album. I'd love to be able to afford a first press of this but you need a mortgage these days. My 1975 reissue with the awful cover will have to do...

I picked up a copy of that repress with the less impressive cover a few years ago as it was in pretty good condition and it seemed a shame not to. You will be pleased to know that it sounds almost as good as an original pressing so it’s only the cover that lets the package down. Having said that, although the cover is slightly tacky, I do like the picture on the front.
R-2854707-1304104936.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
This Sonic Youth bootleg my wife spotted in a branch of Disk Union in Tokyo.

My favourite band recorded in my favourite era of theirs (1988/Daydream Nation) in my favourite city!

I've never seen another copy in the flesh.

B6fy5wx.png

That looks interesting!
My fave band as well, I have no vinyl bootlegs of theirs so have never seen this

CD Numbers 1, 2, 10, 29, 41, 57 and 80. These are official Stockhausen CDs and imitators are not getting the point.

Magic that will probably end up in Dunfermline landfill eventually.

Why landfill? I suspect the likes of Stockhausen will always retain value (I’ve got several of the ones you list on original issue vinyl).

If I go into a retirement home I shall take them with me to play on my Meridian F80. The family will get the point and hopefully save/sell them afterwards. I don't know what the other residents will make of something other than the Kinks, Stones, Beatles, Elvis etc:eek:

Difficult to be definitive about this as I have a lot of records that are precious to me, such as the 1st press of Electric Warrior as posted by TonyL, but really it is my collection of Bowie records, all bought new & are 1st pressings. It is complete with all studio releases excepting Earthling, but I will get a copy of that at some point.
The other item is sentimental & a CD of all things. I was a DJ & promoter & had a hand in the 1st gigs performed by New Order after the death of Curtis, & I secretly recorded it on a tape machine with 2 of my mikes, & then transferred it to CD later. A bit naughty but mine is the only copy & it will stay that way. There are a few records that were also signed on the night by the band that I took to the gig with me, so they are personal to me & treasured.

Which gigs? I went to some of the very early ones.

It was Sheffield Tony. There was lots of bands in the audience too, Human League, Cabaret Voltaire & ABC being the most well known but plenty of others too. Doubt they would have been happy with the sound, they couldn't get it right during the afternoon sound checks & Mr Sumner was being a massive arse about it. Truth be told it was a bit of a shambles all in but again a great experience.

Liverpool and Manchester for me. The sound was always awful at New Order gigs! I was at the free one when The Hacienda first opened too.

I saw them early on at the Tower in Hull. Lots of gear malfunctions occurred. They were dreadful but everyone was so nice to them.

advertisement

Back