advertisement

What has pride of place in your collection and why?

3 of the best rock albums I own on vinyl, probably. Which, amazingly, I all bought from the same shop, probably from the same collection, as mint condition first UK pressings in the late 80's

- Exile on Main Street. Far from immaculate now, despite a number of jolly good cleans. An album that I have played to death and has been a roadmap to a lot of other music, all excellent.

- King Crimson Red still in VG+ condition. Probably because it's not a party record.

- Raw Power. Still VG despite being played to death

I also have a first press Electric Warrior from the same batch with the poster and inner (but no sticker) which is still a good player and VG/VG.

Last edited:
The second album I ever bought. still love it

whos-next-album-cover.png

The only 2 records I would keep for sentimental reasons are my Signed Hounds of Love with matching music tab book, sent them off to the fan club in the 80s and Kate signed them in pink marker and an original Bowie Low in lovely condition my daughter got me a few years ago as she knew it’s one of my favourite albums. It soundtracked leaving Glasgow to live in London in 1988. A New Career in a New Town indeed.

It's a toss-up between Raw Power and the Velvet Underground 'Coke bottle' double compilation drawn from their three MGM/Verve LPs. I listened to this so much that the track order on the proper LPs still seems wrong.

Hard question.

I still have albums in great condition from the age of about 15 that I like.

The Kate Bush pile of records, then Kraftwerk, then Bowie, but could be different on another day.

I would have to say my whole collection takes pride of place. Even the albums that I forget I have, and I find them again. I can fixate on soundtracks for a while, then reggae for a while, or whatever. It is the ability to take different musical journeys that I like.

Not really a very good answer.

Easy...my Falling And Laughing single by Orange Juice. My favourite record of all time (and coincidentally hideously valuable in terms of moolah).

I really don’t think I have a record that I prize above all others. I have owned some of them for over 30 years but I have become rather agnostic when it comes to format. Not really sure how this has happened as I used to be really precious about such things.

Well Golly Gosh!!!

I've been collecting records for over 60 years.. so it's a tough call...

But.. I value records and books very highly.. always have, because the information they contain generally far exceeds any physical value of the object. Also..60 years ago I was 12..and desperate to own a record player..which was a very low priority for my family. I first got my hands on a couple of old portable wind up 78 players.. and I still have a number of 78s acquired around that time which mean a lot to me and contributed much to my musical education..

But if we are talking the vinyl era... these were the first two to hit my Dansette:

R-3185669-1548365895-7418.jpeg.jpg

alexis-korner-s-blues-incorporated-rb-from-the-marquee-.jpg

Both took months of saving Birthday and Christmas money to acquire. They each cost 23 Shillings..being on Decca budget labels when 'yer average' LP cost 32s and 6d.

They were incredibly prized possessions to me back then.. and still are now..such that more recent collectables are just 'nice records'.

For me it's an original copy of BJH Live.

live74.jpg

I hunted one down when it was long out of print. It's BJH at their very finest hour playing many of their best songs.
I believe it was reissued later but there were problems with sound or pressing quality?

The first Fairport Convention LP which I probably bought in 1970. My copy has had many, many plays and is still close to mint and remains of one of my favourite albums. Still arguably their best effort.
R-3943135-1350036405-5305.jpeg.jpg

My dad's 50s/60s mono jazz are right up there along, with the Talking Heads albums that I bought on release from 77 - 82.

I have 4 record display frames that get regularly changed to suit the mood or mark the departure of musician.

The first Fairport Convention LP which I probably bought in 1970. My copy has had many, many plays and is still close to mint and remains of one of my favourite albums. Still arguably their best effort.
R-3943135-1350036405-5305.jpeg.jpg
Completely agree with this. The pysch-rock vibes, Judy Dyble and Ian Matthews, real rock guitar from Richard Thompson - it just all works. All this disappeared when Sandy Denny arrived and they fell into the folk-rock groove that, frankly, Steeleye Span did better.
A wonderful album. I'd love to be able to afford a first press of this but you need a mortgage these days. My 1975 reissue with the awful cover will have to do...

Last edited:
This Sonic Youth bootleg my wife spotted in a branch of Disk Union in Tokyo.

My favourite band recorded in my favourite era of theirs (1988/Daydream Nation) in my favourite city!

I've never seen another copy in the flesh.

B6fy5wx.png

From the Stockhausen Verlag

http://www.stockhausen-verlag.com/

CD Numbers 1, 2, 10, 29, 41, 57 and 80. These are official Stockhausen CDs and imitators are not getting the point.

Magic that will probably end up in Dunfermline landfill eventually.

advertisement

Back