advertisement

What has pride of place in your collection and why?

fegs

pfm Member
After listening to and posting in the "What are you listening to right now 58" thread the following

R-23662-1614154780-8540.jpeg.jpg

New Order ‎– Substance
Label:
Factory ‎– Fact 200
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Embossed Letters
UK
Released:
17 Aug 1987
Genre:
Electronic
Style:
Synth-pop

I came to the conclusion it's possibly one of my prized vinyl possessions

Not only in my opinion is it a fantastic compilation, this particular copy means a lot to me
I bought it in 1987 from a local record shop when it was released, 3-4 years later I was buying CD's so along with the rest of my vinyl it went into storage for some 25 years, so for something 34 years old it's had an easy life.

6-7 years ago when I purchased another TT it came out of retirement and I've enjoyed it ever since

It's in near mint condition and sounds fantastic, the value is meaningless I just enjoy playing it
The fact that it's an original first pressing just adds to the appeal for me.

What takes "Pride of place" in your collection?

It's in near mint condition and sounds fantastic, the value is meaningless I just enjoy playing it
The fact that it's an original first pressing just adds to the appeal for me.

It does sound very good, despite the somewhat dubious provenance of the source material for it. I just wish it had the original versions of 'Temptation' and 'Confusion' on it.

Probably this:

5243669372_df0d7d3462_c.jpg

A very significant record from my childhood that took a lot of time and effort to properly recreate as an adult. It is actually four copies, one to get each part in EX or better, though bizarrely didn’t cost me very much to assemble.

Others being Unknown Pleasures, the first OMD album in first-state Peter Saville sleeve (I actually have two, one with scratched vinyl bought cheap to frame, and my own mint copy), a US stereo original of Black Saint & The Sinner Lady, and this lovely fully signed copy of Modern Jazz Quartet’s Pyramid:

8102186331_e5ab7c5c1a_c.jpg

PS Another classic example of a record shop not checking the back cover, it was just in the jazz rack at a £tenner! I’ve won several times at this!

Paul Young - No Parlez. Bought when it came out and used in any hifi demo I went to thereafter, Come Back and Stay is the goto track. My Grandad was a big influence on my life, taught me to tell time, letters and numbers. He was into records and shared my love of hifi, accompanied me on all my early visits to HiFi shops. We used this record to assess each demo and discuss what was better otpr worse than my current system. The first time would have been 1983 and the last 1998 the year before he passed. I don’t have my original copy it went into his coffin, writing this has made me happy and sad at the same time.

Good thread.

I'll need to have a think and come back to this, nothing stands out on first thoughts but a quick browse through the racks might throw something up.

Probably this:

5243669372_df0d7d3462_c.jpg

A very significant record from my childhood that took a lot of time and effort to properly recreate as an adult. It is actually four copies, one to get each part in EX or better, though bizarrely didn’t cost me very much to assemble.

I can see why, that is really nice Tony

Paul Young - No Parlez. Bought when it came out and used in any hifi demo I went to thereafter, Come Back and Stay is the goto track. My Grandad was a big influence on my life, taught me to tell time, letters and numbers. He was into records and shared my love of hifi, accompanied me on all my early visits to HiFi shops. We used this record to assess each demo and discuss what was better otpr worse than my current system. The first time would have been 1983 and the last 1998 the year before he passed. I don’t have my original copy it went into his coffin, writing this has made me happy and sad at the same time.

Great story to why this means so much to you, thanks for sharing

I've got quite a lot of (Caribbean and African) records of which there's no known other copy and no other known recording of that song, which makes them feel special. So these probably, thought not any one more than any of the others.

Last edited:
I sold all my vinyl (LPs) about 12 years ago, all the stuff I own now was bought within the last 5 years, none of it really has an interesting story or sentiment behind it sadly.

I do still have all my 7" collection I bought when I was about 17/18, so I'd probably just say that lot as a whole.

For me it has to be my first ever LP's
1 , Free / Free purchased with my first ever pay packet , Remember the small vanilla envelopes with you pay details written on the front
2 , Free Fire and water , from wage packet 2

3 , First 7" single was Fire , Crazy world of Arthur Brown

I still have the Free LP's after all these years ( 50 )and they still play very well , My god where did the time go

Lovely story and lucky you with a grandad like that
I have several copies of this LP and yes it is a classic

Scheme - Black & Whites

The working class band from Glasgow that wrote working class songs for the working class. Recorded in 1986, Black & Whites captured a moment in time for an entire generation. This one probably has more significance to Glaswegians of a certain age and a certain class (Generation X or slightly older and completely working class) than it does to most other people.

I bought a copy back in the day but it got lost (or loaned and never returned) but thankfully I managed to track down another new copy around 15 years ago after the lead guitar player in the band, the late John Smith, stumbled across a long-forgotten pile of new LPs in his loft.

I've loads tbh but one that comes to mind is Rupert Holmes 5CD set 'Cast Of Characters' - I was so desperate to track down a copy that I sent a hopeful letter to him asking if he had one spare to sell.
Long story short and a Western Union money transfer a few weeks later, I received a copy personally autographed - Chuffed and so OCD I still have it in the original mailing box etc!

advertisement

Back