advertisement

What happened to Paul Weller?

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
I just saw an ad on TV for his new album - "Fat Pop" - the clip they played sounded like something Clive Dunn would have sung. Please someone, tell me it's just a blip on the radar trackwise :(

His material has changed quite a lot over the years. I'm a big fan - including way back with The Jam (less so Style Council)

I agree the latest Fat Pop! album seems a bit hyped by Weller standards. I've only played side one but quite enjoyable. His last two albums - On Sunset and True Meanings - were very good. If you don't know his stuff, try one of those and Stanley Road. Stanley Road is definitely the one that non-fans will recognise the most and shows the difference between his style then and now. It is a pretty classic album for many a record collection.

He is also on a couple of tracks with Amy Winehouse on her new triple LP of BBC sessions

I have tickets for Weller's upcoming tour and have seen him at Hammersmith, O2 and Albert Hall. Clearly I like him..........:D

I know loads of people that adore Weller. Personally, after the Jam, I find his music a bit derivative and unadventerous. Having said that, much of it is pleasant enough and Wild Wood is really good at what it is, but I'd always rather put on records by his very obvious influences. He is a really nice guy by all accounts, though.

Came to appreciate Paul Weller long after The Jam & Style Council. He's made a lot of good music and continues to do so.

Everyone should listen to Days of Speed also.

I’m a big fan. I like all his solo work to varying degrees but I love True Meanings and the subsequent Live at the Festival Hall Recording.

I wondered why he was doing an Ian Dury impression on the first track of Fat Pop but I like the album.

Cheers BB

Never really listened to Paul Weller. What are the albums to start with?

It all went downhill after All Mod Cons, I'd start there:)

The Jam were my first live band, seeing them in '78 aged 12, absolutely amazing! Got to see them a further 8 times, but it was never as good as the first time.

Ah The Style Council.... The band The Jam could have been... NOT

The Jam far and away his best stuff and IMHO one of the best groups ever. I hated The Style Council at the time but some of it's pretty good after the passage of time.

Then nothing... nothing worth bothering with anyway.. for many years.

Then the really rather wonderful Stanley Road and Wild Wood. "Live Wood" is superb as a live record of this period and a really well recorded live album to boot.

Haven't thought much of anything since TBH.

I saw him live about 2008 ish at Newcastle and it was a bit underwhelming really... competent enough but I always had the feeling he was kinda thinking "another hour and I can be back in me hotel room with a beer.... another week of this and I'm outta here on holiday"

advertisement

Back