advertisement

What Half-width Preamp to Avondale power amp

What Half-width Preamp to Avondale power amp

• Total voters
Exposure XM7 might be worth a look as well.

Well, I have been on their website and found no information whatsoever about output impendance and that's one of basic informations, regularly provided by most companies, even Exposure themselves for the old Farlowe's series. I've used to have many Expo components (2010, 3010, XVII/XVIII and have some even now - 3010s2) and they all sounded very good. I'm perplexed by the fact there's no such thing as a the info about output impendance in their specs lists. Strange.

How many sources have you got?

I have a Lejonklou Kikkin 2.2, only one source but what a pre amp, would suggest it is up there somewhere between a Linn Akurate and Linn Klimax Pre.

It uses a Linn remote, has it's own power supply inside the pre and plugs into the mains, no separate power supplies needed, nice small pre for almost any amp.

I've got one of these 3-way input selectors to go with my Kinki or Unitiqute should I occasionally need more inputs
97289_1485418923.jpg

Yes, at least 3 sources.
I've heard great things about Lejonklou Kikkin but that splitter does not look exactly promising, although I'd not need to shift between different sources during the listening. Honestly, how often one does that...? However, does that imply that most of Linn Akurate Preamps would do a decent job with Avondale? I'm just wondering, I'd rather stay away from full-width components.

A cursory read of the Kikkin copy says it has 8 ground planes for low noise. I don't need to see the PCB to know that is total bullshit. I wouldn't trust a word they say based on that.

RSL remote for 72.

iqeux3.jpg

With the Ryan Lab replacement cards for the 321and 729 boards the performance is good as the 282 I once had. Still available as faik. Got some a couple of months back and good customer service.

OMG! Now, that's substantial! I quickly checked but found no finished units whatsoever. They come from USA, or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Check out Ryan Sound Labs site. Custom set of plug ins $525 should arrive in a week. I paid no customs on my last order so you should be lucky. They replace 321 and 729 cards and give remote control of volume which is the most important thing.

An original NAC 72 will sound a bit flat after you’ve fitted those. Easily restore to original if you wish to sell.

If you have a Hicap already, could be the way to go.

I'd say a Naim 32.5 with the RSL boards and then get John Kenny to build you a small footprint Super Cap psu that can be hidden away.

Failing that the Avondale TPR4 PSU in a 1/4 width case is about as good as you can get, although you may have to put the regs inside the pre amp casing to package that one. All easily do-able.

Another option that I would say is worth a go would be the Stereo Coffee LDR passive pre. There's a guy who will build one of these for you on ebay.

Well, really nice help from you guys! Thanks a lot! I've not decided yet.
However, I'm now leaning more towards half-width Naims, it may be that I've underestimated them.
In case one decides about them woudn't it be better to get 72 instead of 32.5? Then go to RSL boards as said above.

General consensus is that the 32.5 main board sounds a tiny bit better. I'd say that either are only as good as their PSU. You'll need to be a bit clever to get the TPR4 reg inside the amp case without hacking the board about. I'd go John Kenny PSU.

Stereo Coffee LDR will be quite a lot cheaper. Here's one, nothing to do with me.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.befr.ebay.be/ulk/itm/132777094096

Edit: looks like the builder has put his prices up

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
General consensus is that the 32.5 main board sounds a tiny bit better. I'd say that either are only as good as their PSU. You'll need to be a bit clever to get the TPR4 reg inside the amp case without hacking the board about. I'd go John Kenny PSU.

Stereo Coffee LDR will be quite a lot cheaper. Here's one, nothing to do with me.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.befr.ebay.be/ulk/itm/132777094096

Edit: looks like the builder has put his prices up

It seems so. However, thanks for the tip. I contacted the builder, seems very professional very nice in communication and thinking about buying one.
There's even mk2 SE version which is about 200£ pricier. And everything looks fine, even on sheets as well as regarding looks (loks really fine).
However, the builder stated that as an LDR attenuator preamps output impendance can't go down more than 5kOhms. I wonder would that sound with Avondales.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It seems so. However, thanks for the tip. I contacted the builder, seems very professional very nice in communication and thinking about buying one.
There's even mk2 SE version which is about 200£ pricier. And everything looks fine, even on sheets as well as regarding looks (loks really fine).
However, the builder stated that as an LDR attenuator preamps output impendance can't go down more than 5kOhms. I wonder would that sound with Avondales.

I'd forget the obsession with very low output impedance if I were you... 5K should be OK. The problem is if that is it's very lowest and it goes up considerably from there.... I would avoid LDR passives anyway personally as they have no advantages, only disadvantages, in comparison with other types of passive pre and in fact generate some distortion..

A 20K "normal" passive has a worst case output resistance of 5K at electrical midpoint.

After a lot of readings I've decided to place the order for Schiit Saga S.
If it happens to blend in into my system then it's the keeper and if not it's easy to return the product in period of 14 days after receiving one.
If it proves to be that good maybe I'll provide place for Freya S on the top of my Iggy and although is full width component would visually and functionally be as one with the Iggy (considering its dimensions).
I've also been thinking about TeddyPre, however, this one is twice the price of Freya S and would be seriously considered if Schiit fails.

Too late for the original poster but maybe of interest to someone else.... Much of the Pro-Ject range is built in narrow width cases.

advertisement

Back