advertisement

Dee-Kay

pfm Member
I get so involved in discovering new (to me) music I sometimes forget to keep up with what some of my favourite artists are up to.

Given the recent extra time on my hands I’ve found some nice surprises in releases that I’d missed or are not too far away. I’ve Pre-Ordered a few and one is due to land tomorrow which got me listening to some existing albums in preparation/anticipation tonight. Although I’m enjoying this, it made me think how much I like getting a surprise on the doormat months later.

Tomorrow:Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit
Next Tuesday: Gretchen Peters
July 20: Lianne La Havas
Spring 2021: The Blow Monkeys https://www.theblowmonkeys.com/store

Those are from the albums I have on Pre-Order that I can recall, the rest will probably be pleasant surprises.

What's on your list and do you sometimes let them surprise you?

problem with this I've in the past forgotten what I've pre ordered and pre ordered same from elsewhere consequently getting stuff twice, I've done this on more than one occasion!

Yes, me too and not just with Pre-Orders. I nearly bought a copy of Lou Reed Perfect Night In London this afternoon but checked my shelves first. I was not too surprised to see it already there but happy to be able to listen to it straight away. Late at night I don’t always remember to check and only see the duplicate when I get around to shelving it after a listen.

a1283609545_10.jpg

Divine Comedy
'A Short Album About Love'
vinyl reissue,
expected in the next 3 months.

The new Erland Cooper, Hether Blether; which finishes off his Orkney trilogy.
I am utterly gutted his concert with the LCO has been cancelled, after his frankly magical gig in Brighton last year.

The new Erland Cooper, Hether Blether; which finishes off his Orkney trilogy.
I am utterly gutted his concert with the LCO has been cancelled, after his frankly magical gig in Brighton last year.

Another new one to me, thanks. Is Solan Goose as good an album to start with as any?

Both Solan Goose and Sule Skerry are gorgeous.
So, I guess start with the first one, as you suggest.
There are also accompanying ambient albums, Murmuration, and Seachange; but those are both download only (but crazy cheap).
All of them are brilliant head quieteners - handy in these times.

I haven't pre-ordered anything for decades, I used to quite a bit from Diverse Vinyl in the mid to late nineties after the record shops had all closed or stopped selling LPs. I would like that new Jason Isbell record though, the rest of his stuff is excellent.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the remastered version of High when you have it, I think it’s already a good recording.
I already have the original CD but as it is widely documented on line, it won't rip properly.
I'm hoping that there are no such problems with this remaster plus of course there is a bonus disc included as well :)

As far as I can remember:

The Joy Division Closer + 12" singles bundle
Hania Rani
GoGo Penguin
Phoebe Bridgers

The Ghostpoet preorder turned up last weekend, although I haven't listened to it yet as it's for my wife's bday next weekend (honest guv)

There may well be more! Always nice to get caught out by a random record turning up at the door that you can't remember ordering.

As far as I can remember:

The Joy Division Closer + 12" singles bundle
Hania Rani
GoGo Penguin
Phoebe Bridgers

The Ghostpoet preorder turned up last weekend, although I haven't listened to it yet as it's for my wife's bday next weekend (honest guv)

There may well be more! Always nice to get caught out by a random record turning up at the door that you can't remember ordering.

I came across GoGo Penguin only a couple of weeks ago, you just reminded me to check more of their stuff out, Cheers. I saw them on NPR Tiny Desk Concerts.
These and the KEXP channels have some great artists and formats and the production is usually very good too.

advertisement

Back