advertisement

What do you feel is the best piece of music ever written?

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
I said it to myself about six months ago, then I said it out loud, then I went to hear it at Covent Garden this spring and I thought again to myself - this is the best music ever written.

Wagner- Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg.

I said it to myself about six months ago, then I said it out loud, then I went to hear it at Covent Garden this spring and I thought again to myself - this is the best music ever written.

Wagner- Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg.

I'll see your Wagner and raise you fifteen seconds of pure sublimity as Urlicht/ Primordial resolves itself from nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Im Abendrot". The last of the "Four Last Songs" by Richard Strauss.

For me it's going to be something by either JS Bach or Miles Davis, but which I'm not quite sure, let alone which piece!

Urlicht is indeed extraordinarily beautiful. But it can only fade away, and only five years later, Mahler acknowledged that even Paradise is tainted;

Johannes das Lämmlein auslasset,
Der Metzger Herodes d'rauf passet.
Wir führen ein geduldig's,
Unschuldig's, geduldig's,
Ein liebliches Lämmlein zu Tod.
Sankt Lucas den Ochsen tät schlachten
Ohn' einig's Bedenken und Achten.

I think it is this realisation that underpins most of his subsequent composition, particularly the progression through the angst and despair in the fifth, sixth and seventh symphonies, and Das Lied von der Erde (Der Abschied is arguably the most spiritual piece that Mahler wrote). It would be possible to make a similar argument for Wagner or Bruckner, or other 19th century composers, as, for example, Kierkegaard’s existentialism and Darwin’s theories began to exert increasing influence and question the nature of existence and meaning.

There’s a strong case for any of Beethoven’s late string quartets to be the most spiritual works written. But I’d suggest a more humble work – the Earth and Air and Rain song cycle by Gerald Finzi, based on some of Thomas Hardy’s late poetry – for consideration. Not every song in this cycle is successful, but Waiting Both, The Phantom, The Clock of the Years, In a Churchyard, and Proud Songsters bring together poetry and music in a way I find deeply moving; in performance, it can create a sudden realisation and rapt attention from the audience. The last song addresses the same questions that Mahler was grappling with;

These are brand-new birds of twelve-months' growing,
Which a year ago, or less than twain,
No finches were, nor nightingales,
Nor thrushes,
But only particles of grain,
And earth, and air, and rain

I'll see your Wagner and raise you fifteen seconds of pure sublimity as Urlicht/ Primordial resolves itself from nothing.

a lovely piece, which I didnt know. thanks for posting.

the beginning reminds me of the Gorecki 3rd symphony, 2nd movement, which I also love, and may well be my favourite piece of music. again, with an extended unresolved ache going on for seemingly ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5fg8-VWNo0

Has to be Albinoni for me, always feels like his heart and soul were poured into his Adagio.

J.S. Bach: BWV 1 -through to- BWV 1080

I suppose any answer to a daft question must be similarly daft so I'll join in the jollity and support FrankF's amusing contribution (although I would dump BWV 564). However, that would be to exclude Beethoven 132 which I think better than 131, not to mention the Kreutzer. and all the string trios and quartets. It would also shut the door on Schubert's B flat piano sonata. And what about the Brahms Op25 or the Mendelssohn 6th quartets? And then there's Haydn and his Creation, not forgetting . . . . . . . :confused:

advertisement

Back