advertisement

What do I need to know if I want to change my tweeters?

Sovereign

pfm Member
I currently have a pair of ATC scm 35's
I have been told that the tweeter is the compromise in the speaker n order to produce them at the cost they were sold at.
If I want to put different/better tweeters into my speakers I presume they are not just plug and play, am I right in thinking that I will have to adjust the crossover in some way? If this is the case does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

Yeah, try a better cap on the HP filter first. I really rate Jantzen Z-Superior's bang for your buck.

Same capacitance. Most of the Z-Superiors are rated 400V. You'll need to replace only the caps in series with the tweeter. See what that does first.

It's a slippery slope. Before you know it, you'll have memorised Vance Dicakson's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and built a few pairs of loudspeakers.

Good luck.

It's a slippery slope. Before you know it, you'll have memorised Vance Dicakson's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and built a few pairs of loudspeakers.

Good luck.

Hell, been there, done that..with surprisingly good results sound-wise..I have a pair of home-brews here, R Dunn has seen them and commented on the hideous looks (not exactly hideous but not pretty either) which have bass to embarrass my Tannoy Dimension 12's no problem, nice mid range too ( Kef B139 in a critically damped enclosure and Peerless KO40 MRF mids..with Audax Tweeters)...

As for the imaging....more crap than a crap thing on a crap day in crap land..all over the place.

My Tannoys are nice at low levels, crappy as hell at high levels, but lovely imaging. I bought them on recommendation from a friend, never, never never do this. They have a VERY underwhelming sound, absolutely NO impact or real Bass definition. Sold on past glory I guess, as for the original new price...:confused::confused:

At the very least you need to know the impedance and sensitivity of the old tweeter - but really you need to know a lot more than that.

advertisement

Back