advertisement

What Discount is usual for ex home loan equipment.

No, you ask for the discount you want, if he says no you negotiate and agree what is ok for both. Why would you assume what profit margin he is working from?
Agreed. One of the lasting advices my father gave me is it's poor form to turn down the deal after the seller has accepted your offer. Seems reasonable to me.

Having been on both sides here I’d say wether from a dealer or buyers point of view a fair agreement with both parties happy is the best balance. If a dealer works on cost +40% plus his trade rebates (which he has to work all year for) a 35% discount off the retail including the VAT will leave him with his face wiped on the deal but down if you add in overheads.

Having been on both sides here I’d say wether from a dealer or buyers point of view a fair agreement with both parties happy is the best balance.

A good relationship with a good dealer is important particularly when something goes wrong. In 43 years of buying hi-fi I have never haggled with a dealer & always paid their asking price but as mentioned I have got some incredible offers in that time. Better to think long-term & you will usually reap the rewards.

I was going to say earlier in the thread that the cheapest deal isn't always the best value one, a good dealer will offer first rate back up service, they will be accommodating when you come to upgrade (with easy and fair trade in deals) and of course they're accommodating with trials and demonstrations, they will find you the best solution for you even if it's not the most lucrative for them.

The dealer here has certainly got the trial/demonstration part right and trusts customers to try kit at home, that's usually a good sign and I'd be inclined to shake on the deal.

advertisement

Back