advertisement

What Discount is usual for ex home loan equipment.

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
As the title really, I have been offered some units at £100 discount, new price is £750. I have them on home loan now and was wondering if this is a fair/usual amount of discount.

Bloss

I would expect something broadly equivalent to the VAT, if not more, for ex-demo or "shop soiled" (even if there is no obvious soiling). You would otherwise be getting brand new in original sealed packaging (and what happens to the demo kit remains the retailer's problem). I would also expect full warrantee as new anyway.

If you are the only person who has used then then it's pretty fair to be honest. If they've been around a bit more but are in clean condition I'd negotiate, try asking for 20%, the worst that can happen is the dealer will insist on the original deal and then it's up to you to make a decision. Full warranty on ex dem kit is pretty standard as far as I'm aware.

If you are the only person who has used then ...
I don't see why any discount should be offered here, else we'll all ask for a "home demo" and then demand discount because "they're not new now" (although they might have been when you got them for the demo). My local hifi dealer never did "home demo" for precisely this reason, kit was on show in the shop.

I don't see why any discount should be offered here, else we'll all ask for a "home demo" and then demand discount because "they're not new now" (although they might have been when you got them for the demo). My local hifi dealer never did "home demo" for precisely this reason, kit was on show in the shop.
Fair point, my thought process was more if they'd been unboxed and displayed but not been around other people's homes. If I'd taken them home and unboxed them, I wouldn't be expecting a discount and I'd jump at a £100 discount.

Were they new when you took them on loan? If so then no discount is due, 10% is more than generous. If they are ex demo and they have been in and out of cars and various houses, collecting bumps and scuffs, then 25% minimum. I bought some ex demo speakers, excellent condition, some light wear, at 25% off, and I currently have a UKP 2k pair that are well used and have a bashed corner for #300. Thank you Fanthorpe's Hull, nobody else wanted them as the price sank to #600 then #400. At #300 it was too good to miss.

if mint and you are the only person to have demoed them from new then no discount. If ex-dem, and in good nick then up to 20%. Then more if condition dictates.

Thanks all.

They had been loaned before, so £100 not bad offer, will try to squeeze a tad more, say £150, but will not be too disappointed if no joy as he will start the full guarantee when I cough up.

Bloss

Ask for more discount, he can always say no and you never know till you ask.

Having lived in Lagos used to get funny looks if I didn't try and haggle over the price.

Suggest he charge future home-demmers £100 - to compensate him for loses from being an obliging dealer.

That is more or less what I am like with haggling, really dislike it. I never liked it when a few customers tried to haggle with me. I can remember in the 70's, agreeing to repair/alter some garage doors. We agreed a price and I turned up on site on the agreed day and time and proceeded to remove/discard redundant doors and the client asked for a discount. After a couple of minutes I placed all my materials back on the truck and left him with no doors. He called me back later and agreed the full price for the second time. I cannot remember if I returned or not.

Bloss

That's not haggling it's taking the piss, haggling is done before a price is agreed.

I would have upped the price when he phoned back.

Ask for more discount, he can always say no and you never know till you ask.

Having lived in Lagos used to get funny looks if I didn't try and haggle over the price.

Assuming that the HiFi dealer works on a 25% GP then at £100 he is effectively splitting his profit with you 50/50 but of his £100 he'll only get around £83 as the rest is VAT.

Of course if his GP is higher you might try for a bit more discount.

Cheers,

DV

That is more or less what I am like with haggling, really dislike it. I never liked it when a few customers tried to haggle with me. I can remember in the 70's, agreeing to repair/alter some garage doors. We agreed a price and I turned up on site on the agreed day and time and proceeded to remove/discard redundant doors and the client asked for a discount. After a couple of minutes I placed all my materials back on the truck and left him with no doors. He called me back later and agreed the full price for the second time. I cannot remember if I returned or not.

Bloss

Happened to a guy in Glasgow, made the papers here, window mob turned up with windows to do the full flat, guy started haggling after the old windows were out and the guys just turned round with the new windows back ni the van and left him to it, top floor tenement too and in November I seem to recall :)

Anyone starts that nonsense with me I walk, I don't mind negotiating over the price before the job is done but not at the end or midway through a job on an agreed price.

Assuming that the HiFi dealer works on a 25% GP then at £100 he is effectively splitting his profit with you 50/50 but of his £100 he'll only get around £83 as the rest is VAT.

Of course if his GP is higher you might try for a bit more discount.

Cheers,

DV

No, you ask for the discount you want, if he says no you negotiate and agree what is ok for both. Why would you assume what profit margin he is working from?

Bloss

Speaking as a dealer, but also as a (reasonably) decent human being, I think if you have already agreed on a price then it is unreasonable to try to change the price later without a good reason, as in your example with the doors and twotone's example with the windows. One obvious reason would be if the product or service turned out to be different from what was originally agreed. However, since you already have the product there, that seems unlikely in this case.

Assuming that you have not already agreed a price, I see no reason why you could not make an offer. The dealer can accept, decline or make a counter offer of his own. Dealer margins vary from one brand to the next and even from product to product, but the dealer is unlikely to gross much from a £750 item which has already been discounted by £100. He will also have expenses to cover from this margin too. That being said, I am sure that he would rather have a discussion about the price than send you up the street or off to the Internet, especially after investing time and money in letting you try the equipment.

Hi-fi dealers generally work on margins of 40+% & get annual over-riders on top of that based on sales targets. My dealer will not usually sell demo kit if it is a current model as he says he would just have to replace it with another new pair. However if it is a discontinued model I have received discounts of up to 35% depending on condition. More recently I bought a pair of the discontinued Spendor A5R speakers for £1,295 saving £700 on retail price of £1,995 & they were brand new unopened boxes. That was from Moorgate in Sheffield where Paul Hobson regularly does deals with manufacturers on ex-demo or discontinued models. Dependent on manufacturer you may get full warranty on ex-demo kit. £100 off £750 does not seem particularly generous to me but it depends on a number of factors including how good a customer you are to the dealer.

advertisement

Back