Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What DAC are you using to connect your Smart TV to your hi-fi amplifier ?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Alun Rains, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Alun Rains

Alun Rains Jus Juan Cornetto

Hi Guys
    Just wondering if you are using a DAC to connect your Smart TV to your stereo hi-if amplifier and if so, which one. Looking for good recommendations that don’t cost the earth.
    I am currently using a CYP-AU-D3-192 DAC from Richer Sounds that works OK but I do find it can seem to become overwhelmed at times and the volume can fluctuate momentarily.
    I am not interested in sound-bars or surround sound systems..
    Look forward to your replies

Snufkin likes this.
  2. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Optical connector from from TV (Samsung) to my Pro-Ject pre S2 digital. Works great. Same Dac has USB feed from my Mac Mini ( for Roon/local music/Qobuz). Also has digi coax from my Marantz Universal player- but tbh that is connected via Phono to the Amp and the digi coax largely unused.

Alun Rains likes this.
  3. GavinB

GavinB pfm Member

Chord 2Qute via optical

Alun Rains likes this.
  4. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Dacmagic 100 would be a decent choice unless you wanted to take a punt on an internet Topping or SMSL.

Alun Rains likes this.
  5. moo-fi

moo-fi pfm Member

Old Rega via optical works just fine for us.

Alun Rains likes this.
  6. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I should have said that I previously used a Dacmagic 100 - easy to connect and a small unobtrusive box too - although like most small DACs you have to hide a power brick somewhere too.

Alun Rains and Del monaco like this.
  7. RoA

RoA pfm Member

I just use the integrated DAC's on my amps but I had a DAC from these people which did a good job.

https://hifimediy.com/

8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

teac udho1

Alun Rains likes this.
  9. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

In the past I’ve used the little Fiio/Maplin uber cheap £20 ones and then a Dacmagic 100, still have the Dacmagic but it’s been moved to the SONOS rig, got it for a good price off eBay last year and can recommend it. A Topping E30 would do the job also.

Alun Rains likes this.
  10. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy pfm Member

Arcam SR250's inbuilt DAC for me, via HDMI.

Finding it to be rather nice.

Alun Rains likes this.
  11. flutteringwow

flutteringwow Platinum Ears

Alun Rains likes this.
  12. coredump

coredump Press <ALT-F4> to continue.

Alun Rains likes this.
  13. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

I use a cheapo FiiO jobby I bought via ebay. It works fine and has been plugged in 24/7 for ~18 months and has worked perfectly throughout.

Alun Rains and narabdela like this.
  14. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member

Having a dumb TV and no television licence, my only video source is an elderly BluRay player, which gets DtoAd by my Hugo.

Alun Rains likes this.
  15. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Another DacMagic user here, although we used to use one of the little FiiO ones. That worked fine as well - only changed it when I changed the system and it had the DacMagic available anyway.

Alun Rains likes this.
  16. yeti42

yeti42 pfm Member

I recently used a Rega DAC-r via optical. Maybe a bit too dynamic in a terraced house with close neighbours. Loud enough to pick up the dialog was a bit too much when things blew up, as they so often do in SciFi and crime dramas these days.

Alun Rains likes this.
  17. coredump

coredump Press <ALT-F4> to continue.

yeti,

not sure if you are using streaming services, but some of them offer a "normalize" option in their settings that reduces dynamics exactly for this reason. Maybe some TVs also offer that option in their firmware, might be worth it having a look.

Best,
    Oliver

Alun Rains likes this.
  18. Alun Rains

Alun Rains Jus Juan Cornetto

Thanks everyone for your replies.. Gives me several options to explore further.

19. legacylenslover

legacylenslover pfm Member

Fiio D03k. about £25. Optical and co-ax in.
    Recently moved it on only because I now have a Schiit Modius which undertakes DAC duties for multiple devices.

Alun Rains likes this.
  20. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes pfm Member

Tried it through my Hugo TT2 but it sounds better as analogue.