• 3 way (12 or 18db/oct)

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • 2 way, 24db/oct

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Other(s) (please describe)

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

PigletsDad

My intelligence test came back negative.
If Neil and I were to do a crossover board, based on the buffer circuit from the B4 preamp, what configuration would you want? The concept is pretty flexible, but we need to pick a number of modules to include in a basic board. Very complex systems would need more than one board.

I voted 2-24dB/oct for simplicity, good tweeter protection and lower sensitivity to driver offset. If Linkwitz-Riley target, then they will sum flat as well.

The same 2-24dB/oct can be used to drive a passive LS and a pair of subs.

James

Tremendous stuff!
I guess that 2-way 24dB/Oct will suit all tastes (obviously, 3-way x-over can be put together by cascading two boards). I also suggest that you add frequency response correction at the cross-over point (what is sometimes called "Damping Control").
Cheers,
Yair

With a 4th order filter on the board, there's always the option to jumper and/or omit components to make lesser-order filters as needed, right?

I have voted two way 24db as well.

I currently use one of Rob Elliots set to 24db to crossover at the treble end and a second board is only part populated to give 12db at the bass end. So hence my vote would enable 2 / 3 way 24db but possibly the chance for people to use the same board part populated to make 12db if required?

I would suggest that an option for baffle step corection is also built in as well since most people would use for 2 ways.
I have some Marchland XM9 boards which are 2 chanel ,can be configured for 2,3,4th order,baffle step added with a resistor plus cap,variable level and filter Q,and variable frequency with a plug in resistor pack.
Geoff

Tremendous stuff!
I guess that 2-way 24dB/Oct will suit all tastes (obviously, 3-way x-over can be put together by cascading two boards). I also suggest that you add frequency response correction at the cross-over point (what is sometimes called "Damping Control").
Cheers,
Yair

We won't provide a twiddly knob for this, but you can play with the values that define the filter shape to get this effect.

We won't provide a twiddly knob for this, but you can play with the values that define the filter shape to get this effect.

Hi PD
As this is not bound to become a Pro product (e.g. Ashley or Behrringer) I would suggest using array of resistors with Dip-Switches, just like this one:
SAW30.jpg

My current thinking (and I think NJ is on the same wavelength) is simply to leave value selection to the user; the board will simply have spaces for components to define the filter. There are lots of books on filter design, and some of the major speaker CAD programmes can generate values for you.

Adding lots of switches and components puts cost, size and complexity up a lot, and puts a lot more parts in the signal path.

I've had the chance to play different types of X-Overs - such as the one pictured above (Thel Audio World), pro types and DSP-based machines such as DEQX.
I believe there should always be room for some extra fine tuning.
If you consider dip-switches as a costly option, perhaps you should add DIP-type sockets for inserting resistors, maybe even two in parallel, so as to obtain accurate results - the same way as sometimes seen in MC phono-stages.
Yair

advertisement

Back