advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

The Residents 50th Anniversary Tour at the Union Chapel last night, postponed from 2022. "Let the strangeness wear off through a couple of plays. Soon you too will whistle the merry tunes....", well I reckon it's about 45 years in my case.

IMG-5764.jpg

Morton Valence last night at What's Cookin'.. in Leytonstone as a 3 piece featuring B J Cole, excellent
They were to play Winchester tonight but cancelled by the venue at the last minute

Morton Valence by Pete, on Flickr

52665023720_d77a6cfa2e_b.jpg

Girl scout (support, not heard before) and Coach Party (main act) at Deaf Institute in Manchester.
One of my favourite venues as very small. Missing the grandeur of Albert Hall (Manchester one!) and the memories I have in places like Ritz, Gorilla, century Hall and the academies, but with a real character of its own.

Ian McNabb, Huntingdon Hall Worcester. I have a few of his CDs which I really rate, but I have never seen him live as a solo artist, although I did see him in the Icicle Works at a student union gig early 1980s. Thursdays gig was excellent, the venue a re-purposed Methodist chapel worked really well for amplified acoustic instruments, it was a two set gig and second half Ian McN was much more chatty with the audience.

Black Angels yesterday at Shepherds Bush Empire. Nearly two hours of transcendentant droning, feedback, and unintelligible lyrics. Bliss.

As an aside, surely it’s time for a ban on the word black in band names. Must be the most overused word.

We were at South Street arts centre in Reading last night for an evening, appropriately enough, of TB-303 action.
First act up was Minor Key, who 'im indoors knows from his synth nerd group; second was a guy who runs Readipop promotions (and also a scheme that runs a studio that local youth can access); third was Saytek, who played a largely hardware set ofgroovy, but quite banging techno.
All in all, a nice friendly grass roots event, with a supportive crowd, and some decent tunes.
They're intending to run a 909 night in, obviously, September.

We were at South Street arts centre in Reading last night for an evening, appropriately enough, of TB-303 action.
First act up was Minor Key, who 'im indoors knows from his synth nerd group; second was a guy who runs Readipop promotions (and also a scheme that runs a studio that local youth can access); third was Saytek, who played a largely hardware set ofgroovy, but quite banging techno.
All in all, a nice friendly grass roots event, with a supportive crowd, and some decent tunes.
They're intending to run a 909 night in, obviously, September.
August next, surely?

Del Amitri in a great vintage venue - The Barton Theatre - Adelaide.
Happened to be on holiday and saw they were playing. House full ( mostly shall we say "older"). Played all the hits and more. Justin in fine voice and seeing them live reminded my wife and I what a guitar band they are. It was a great gig.

Last in Bristol: The Comet Is Coming were f-in awesome. Finished dead on 10pm which meant we also caught Local band Pocket Sun, who were well worth missing the last train home for and coughing up for a cab

Bernstien's Mass, performed by the students of the RNCM and Cheethams School at the Bridgewater Hall last night. Oh, man! Probably one of the most memorable performances I've attended in Manchester in the last decade. Absolutely no way this was a 'mere' student show. the performance standard was well up there with any professional ensemble, and the energy levels throughout were just overwhelming.

Nils Frahm @ Funkhaus - Berlin.
Damned difficult to actually find the venue when there, but a beautiful place inside.
No seats as such, big steps in ‘the round’
The guy is a genius, 7 keyboards, plus Mellotron, mixer, loops and a couple of sequencers all on the go at once. He moves so quickly between them.
Only one odd piece i was not a fan off (industrial noise/loops on an ancient thing covered in knobs and switches, mellotron as a base i think) but otherwise, simply beautiful music. The ‘Glass organ’ is pretty special, and he has mastered it well.
Long way for a gig, but well worth the effort.

Last edited:
Sleaford Mods last night in Prism, Kingston upon Thames - Excellent! Not seen them for ages and they were great, even got a light show these days, and their own branded beer - wtf!

advertisement

Back