advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Cadogan Hall last week to listen to the Seoul philharmonic Orchestra play Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev, throughly enjoyable there as ever. They were just into the 2nd movement of the Firebird Suite after the interval when suddenly there was a thud and one of the 3rd violinists had collapsed, never seen that before in a concert.

Performance immediately stopped of course, you could see her convulsing, they asked if there was a doctor in the audience and there was not. Rest of the orchestra visibly distressed, she got up and exited, after several minutes the conductor said she was okay and an ambulance had collected her as a precaution and she had said wanted them to continue which they professionally did.

After a dearth of live music over the last 12 months there's been 2 gigs in the last week...
China Crisis last Saturday for some 80s nostalgia and last Thursday the reunion of the original Damned line up at the Manchester Apollo. Messrs James, Scabies, Vanian and the good Captain doing their thing with TV Smith and Penetration supporting... Could it get any better??

Last edited:
At the Queen’s Hall Edinburgh again last night to see Robert Plant and Suzi Dian with Saving Grace.
Fantastic mix of English folk tradition and Americana in an intimate setting. Songs included Robert’s covers of Richard Thompson’s House of Cards, Los Lobos’ Angel Dance and Low’s Monkey. He also sang Down to the Sea and a beautiful version of Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down finishing with an acapella I bid you good night.

Suzi sang beautifully and the band created a varied soundscape - both the guitarists - seated throughout- had massive pedal boards to vary the effects on the guitars, banjos, mandolins and other stringed instruments.

Some great interaction among the players and some banter with the crowd - although I think he found the Scottish accents a slight struggle ! He said that he had come to see Patty Griffin at the venue and had specifically wanted to play such a “ great room”. ( If you haven’t been there it’s a converted Church with a single balcony ).

Really excellent evening!

I got proper moulded plugs made a few years ago. I wish I'd got them decades ago - they're crystal clear and everything sounds so much better turned down 16dB.
Can I ask which ones you use? I currently use a pair of the 3 cup ones by ACS which quieten things down but at the expense of a muted top end of the sound. I would love a pair that just quietened things but let you still hear a full range. Cheers Steve

Unusually for me..
One of a series of classical concerts organised by John aof Doug Brady Hi Fi.
The venue was the very nice little Capstone Theatre, part of Liverpool Hope Uni.
This one rather special as it was a fund raiser in aid of the Brain Charity, and in memory of John's late wife Carrie, who passed last year.
Mezzo Soprano Clary Amelia Turner gave a first half of Lieder, mostly Schumann and Schubert, and for the second half pianist Andrew Wilde gave a programme of Mozart and Chopin.
A superb and very worthwhile evening out.

Went to see Stone Foundation at Koko (Camden Town) on Friday night. Despite forming 24 years ago (relative) success has come quite late to them and they perform as if they feel lucky to be playing in front of bigger crowds in nicer venues. Second time I’ve seen them and I’l be buying tickets for their 25th Anniversary gig at Islington Assembly Halls in 2023. It was a really good night and Mick Talbot and Graham Parker popped up for a song each too.

My first visit to Koko, a really nice venue. I must be getting old because I liked the fact the band came on at 8.15 and the gig finished at 10.00. It meant we were home for 12.00 rather than 01.00 like we usually do from London gigs.

Cheers BB

At the Queen’s Hall Edinburgh again last night to see Robert Plant and Suzi Dian with Saving Grace.
Fantastic mix of English folk tradition and Americana in an intimate setting. Songs included Robert’s covers of Richard Thompson’s House of Cards, Los Lobos’ Angel Dance and Low’s Monkey. He also sang Down to the Sea and a beautiful version of Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down finishing with an acapella I bid you good night.

Suzi sang beautifully and the band created a varied soundscape - both the guitarists - seated throughout- had massive pedal boards to vary the effects on the guitars, banjos, mandolins and other stringed instruments.

Some great interaction among the players and some banter with the crowd - although I think he found the Scottish accents a slight struggle ! He said that he had come to see Patty Griffin at the venue and had specifically wanted to play such a “ great room”. ( If you haven’t been there it’s a converted Church with a single balcony ).

Really excellent evening!

I saw them in Perth. An excellent evening and a super-tight band. Hopefully they will record in the near future.

Anthony Braxton New Quartet and Henry Threadgills Zooid last night at the Barbican.

Braxton quartet superb - and included some kind of synth adding Radiophonic drones.

I could have lived without the extended drum solo but otherwise Zooid were great, especially the cello and tuba.

Would love to hear recordings so I could process it better.

Anais Mitchell played to an appreciative sold-out crowd at the sticky-floored Fleece in Bristol. A very nice concert with Anais obviously loving playing live, going by her passion and constant smile. Her slightly squeaky voice must be hard to mic and it didn’t come over as clearly as it does on her records.

The singing duo Memorial were very good as the warm-up, with very nice Simon-and-Garfunkel-style harmonies.

Artists to see before they stop touring/die #93 - Peter Frampton at the RAH last Tuesday. Thankfully in guitar hero mode (albeit seated) and free of the worst of the late-70s output, it was a pretty good retrospective of a 50+ year career. Plus the RAH is sooo civilised.

Counterpoint: seeing Porcupine Tree at Wembley Arena last Friday - a fab 3 hour set in a truly awful venue.

advertisement

Back