advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

I saw The Analogues in Lyon, probably the best Beatles tribute band around.
About 20 Dutch musicians on stage, including strings and brass sections.
They even had an anvil!
They played Abbey Road plus many other songs.
A superb performance.

Brighton last night. A good set and of course Suppers Ready. Made me laugh when a few thousand balding fat old men all shouted ‘a flower?’ together.
I’m coming to the conclusion that the Brighton Centre is becoming a favourite venue. Every band I’ve seen there has had fantastic sound - don’t know if it’s the acoustics or whether the simple box shape makes it easier to set up the sound system.
Hammersmith last night and similar audience participation (actively encouraged from the stage as well!).

A dream setlist from my POV (i.e. vintage Hackett/Genesis material and only 1 of his recent solo tunes) but there didn't seem to be much of a "buzz" to it. Crystal clear sound but, dare I say, maybe a bit too quiet...?

Chip Wickham and his band at Peggy's Skylight, Nottingham, last night:

IMG_6961

I love the new album and his Pharaoh Sanders tribute EP, but they absolutely come alive played live - in my top 3 gigs of the year. He's at Ronnie's tonight: if it's not sold out, try and go.

Can’t compete with 27 songs this time but 2 concerts this week, kingdom of madness ( ex Magnum members playing Magnum songs) at the cluny on Wednesday supported by Spike ex Quireboys was a rollicking bit of rock and roll, the vocalist for kingdom was really good but the encore with Spike joining for honky tonk women was great fun. A much darker affair in Manchester the next day to see Canadian band The Actors for a nice slice of retro goth. Great set of support bands especially Auger and I will certainly be buying some of their stuff. As always these gigs are just too short. Loved this post lockdown rush of bands, not much left to see now with the unfortunate news that has prompted Low to cancel their tour in November.

Went to see Bon Iver at Wembley Arena last night. It was delayed by 30 months because of Covid. I loved the 'Emma Forever' album and agreed to go to the gig with my daughter on the back of it. Subsequently I heard later released stuff and really didn't like it. Based on that the gig lived up to my expectations, the tracks from 'Emma Forever' I loved live, the rest was a bit meh for me, although they played it all excellently. I must say the sound quality and light show were both excellent, the sound quality was probably the best I've heard in a big venue.

Cheers BB

Saw Ginger Wildheart and The Sinners last night at Pompey Wedgewood Rooms. They put on a cracking show of bouncy Americana with general banter between songs, with support from Marc Valentine giving a more traditional rock and roll performance, and Boss Caine delivering what I would imagine Tom Waits would sound like busking on a street corner in York.

The Wedgewood Rooms is not a big venue, but even so it was not a huge crowd, which was a shame as it was a great performance.

Abba and Dylan within 5 days of each other. Not an Abba fan but my wife is. I tell you what, Voyage is ridiculously impressive.
Dylan was just amazing. I love his new album and he did all except the long one. So pleased to see him in my hometown.

Porcupine Tree at Zenith Paris - La Villette.
I've waited many years to see this group and they didn't disappoint - superb 3 hour set including a 20 minute break.
At the bands request picture taking and recording was strictly prohibited during the show - this was immaculately observed.
How pleasant to watch a gig without being surrounded by wallies playing with their cameras non-stop.
Those of you attending the London show at the O2 are in for a rare treat.:)

Last edited:
Birthday Massacre at the cluny, just literally heard my first song by them (Happy Birthday) 2 weeks ago at a fellow Canadian band’s gig and low and behold they are on tour in the UK and played Newcastle today. Really enjoyed the fusion of metal and goth, with lots of energy from the crowd.

They are in the midlands next so them out, they’ve been going since 2004.

Wishbone Ash @ the Queen’s Hall Edinburgh - on their 50th anniversary of Argus tour. Excellent concert with some good quips from Andy Powell remembering the 70’s touring the USA with support from some guy named Bruce who had a pretty good bar band with him!

Ironic that to get to the gig I walked past the (currently mothballed) 2000 seater Odeon which Wishbone sold out around 1980 on their Just Testing tour…

Michael Rother Neu! 50th gig at Clapham Grand last night. Splendid. Paul Weller was a surprising guest. Surprisingly rocky for a Rother gig. Alexis Taylor’s support slot was also fantastic. Transpires he’s a bit of a guitar hero, playing beer can slide on his Gibson Firebird.

Went to the Royal Albert Hall a couple of nights ago to see the orchestral 50th anniversary of Tubular Bells. It was too loud (even my wife agreed) and the lead guitarist thought he was the star of the show when the music should have been. Brian Blessed was also far too loud in the introduction of the instruments in part 1 and as the caveman in part 2.

ah i agree with the loudness . i was at symphony hall last night but had to wear earplugs through out . it was totally fantastic though . brian blessed at 86 is amazing . tried to buy the cd but the queue was too long !!! and yes brian was a bit loud!

advertisement

Back