advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Went to the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester on Saturday. Programme was: Thomas Ades Three Studies from Couperin; Prokofiev Violin Concerto No.1; Schubert Symphony No.9

First time my son who is 19 has been to a classical concert, and I think he enjoyed some of it though it was all a bit unfamiliar. Amazingly his student ticket was £3, that has to be a bargain.

46659584615_9628a7a0c1.jpg

Glad someone else here likes dodgy plot lines.

Saw La Forza del Destino last night. Had to fight my way into the lift at Covent Garden tube and through a gentle breeze to the opera house. Fine all-round cast (particularly Kaufmann, Monastyrska, Tezier, Furlanetto, Corbelli). Another opera off my list.

Saw the live broadcast in my local cinema.
It was 3 hours 50 minutes of sublime entertainment.

Antibalas last night at the Camden Jazz Cafe.
Insanely tight and funky band, great crowd, brilliant night.

Just got back from Mott the Hoople (class of 74) at the Symphony Hall, Birmingham. Great night, loads of energy. How does Ian Hunter manage this at 79!

The Unthanks at the Tivoli Wimborne last night.
Wasn't sure about this, as it was just three of them singing with no band this time, but it was wonderful.
The support was Tim Dalling - he was hilarious!

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, Roundhouse, Saturday 4th April. A great gig; the band were obviously having a lot of fun and they went down really well. What better way to start than with Interstellar Overdrive ?

Interstellar Overdrive, Arnold Layne, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun and See Emily Play, were my highlights, but it was all good. Gary Kemp was a surprise too, but obviously, it was Nick Mason who tied it all together with his unmistakeable drumming style.

Setlist:
Interstellar Overdrive
Astronomy Domine
Lucifer Sam
Fearless
Obscured by Clouds
When You're In
Remember a Day
Arnold Layne
Vegetable Man
If
Atom Heart Mother
The Nile Song
Green Is the Colour
Let There Be More Light
Childhood's End
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
See Emily Play
Bike
One of These Days
Encore:
A Saucerful of Secrets
Point Me at the Sky

Nick Harper in Bath last night playing 2 sets - one inspired by music played by artists that visited the house he grew up in with his Dad, Roy and another of mostly his own stuff. Impressive tackling of some complicated guitar work!
"58 Fordwych Road in Kilburn, London was where Nick spent the first few years of life. It was also a hang out for Nick's parents' bohemian friends. The 58 Fordwych Road Tour recreates that flat in 2019 and Nick is airing some seminal acoustic classics as a tribute to his dad and his contempories at a pivotal point in music history. Nick is playing gems by Davy Graham, Bert Jansch, John Renbourne, Jackson C. Frank, Sandy Denny, Paul Simon et al. As well as the one and only Roy Harper of course!"

Went to see Richard Hawley at EartH Hackney (Dalston actually) on Monday night. 5th time I've seen him and he was really on form. I thought when I saw him at the Roundhouse in 2017 that the fags were taking their toll on his voice but he sounded excellent on Monday and the band were great too. Only disappointment was that he didn't do 'The Ocean' which is mine and Mrs BB's favourite. He did quite a few new songs that I enjoyed which augers well for the new album in June.

EartH is quite an interesting venue. Looks like an old cinema, there are no seats but the auditorium is made of wooden steps (which I assume did have seating on originally). The place is pretty dilapidated but the sound was great, you could see the stage really well and felt pretty close. Only downside for 2 middle-aged people with dodgy backs was that we were very uncomfortable after 2 hours. I'd certainly go back for the right gig though.

Cheers BB

C Duncan last night in Oxford - excellent gig, despite some tech issues
The support, Before Breakfast were excellent as well. Nice to have an enjoyable and appropriate support act.

Just back in from seeing Kiran Leonard at Gullivers in Manchester, fantastic. The support Humint where great as well.

Grant Lee Phillips and Josh Rouse at Fiddlers, Bristol on Sat. Met them both at an Indian around the corner before hand. Grant was very friendly and we even got a mention in the encore before had to leave to catch our train.

I went to see Helen McCookerybook, supported by Sunbathers + Peter Hall at The Tin At The Coal Vaults, Coventry, last night. A disconcertingly small audience, but it was a great gig. Helen was the bass player/singer with The Chefs and guitarist/singer with Helen and the Horns in the 1980s, both of whom were John Peel favourites. Helen was sitting in with the audience while the other acts were on and it was a really intimate gig! I have followed her music over the years, and found that I knew most of the songs that she sang. A nice little venue and the ticket was only £4!

advertisement

Back