advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Superbly entertaining short set of opera arias at the Bridgewater Hall yesterday put on by the amazingly talented post grads at the RNCM.

Its been a bit gigtastic this week

The Residents at Union Chapel on Monday...6 miles to the graveyard still rumbling around my head...absolute delight to see live.

Beak at Islington Town Hall (?)...very good but somewhat overshadowed by the insane French support act whose name I still don't know but once seen never forgotten !

Deacon Blue a while ago now but seen them a few times and fabulous every time. Really takes you back to your youth as they sound as fresh as they did in their hay day. Hope to see them again.

Went to Neil Diamond at the Arena at Newcastle. Where we sitting had a huge speaker above us and we could hardly hear him because of the bass. My Missus gave me a piece of tissue to put in my left ear.....it was that bad. Walked away from where I was sitting and he sounded great. I will not be going back to that place.....the acoustics are dire in my opinion. Unless Elvis decides to come back and perform there I will stay away

Beak> Manchester - great gig and banter, crowd was a bit flat - tracks from the last album were great.

Lindstrom, supported by DJ sets from Bjorn Torske and Isolde at EartH in Hackney.
A good night elevated into a great one by being there with a big bunch of mates.
First time at the venue for me - decent sound system, not rammed (despite being sold out), and friendly, helpful security.

Went to see Inglorious at the Academy in Manchester last week. Not all that impressed with them to be honest, but really enjoyed support band City of Thieves.

Style Council tribute band The Style Councillors at the old Escape club Brighton. A nine piece band that have great energy and delivered a great performance very enjoyable.

5 bands for fiver at the Dublin Castle last Friday: Lilac Melt, Girls Like Us, Tor7, Lover and the Cult Figures. Bit of a mix, got there early for the Edinburgh band (Lilac Melt)
Cult Figures great fun and clearly enjoying themselves

Nils Frahm last night in Birmingham. His playing, as ever, was exceptional.
The venue - what an absolute hole.
O2 'Academy' (buy 50 gallons of black paint and it will be fine attitude) He felt the need to apologise profusely for it and also ripped them apart for how they operated, refusing him the chance to sign autographs due to 'health and safety' and no merch due to a 25% tariff on all sales. He was great, as always but cemented my stance of no more 'O2' for me, whoever is playing.

Il Re Pastore at the Fenice in Venice tonight.
Superb.
Very surprised at just how good the astoustics are in such an old design of theatre.

Steely Dan and Steve Winwood at the Resorts World Arena, Birmingham (the old NEC). Sound appalling as per usual, but such a tight band, and Stevie came onstage for Pretzel Logic. Great to see Donald Fagen on good form. Lots of classics from Mr Winwood too - top evening!

advertisement

Back