advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Brit Floyd tonight at Manchester’s Bridgewater Hall.
Started at 20.00, left the stage at well past 23.00 and in between was a fabulous concert of Floyd music played by top exponents of the tribute band lark.
I was delighted to see them do Southampton Dock off the Final Cut album, an album rarely visited by tribute bands.
Their world tour is well worth catching.

Kinnell, The Necks last night were just some kind of magic.
The kind of performance where you lose track of time, and get totally lost in it.

Turners Sims is a beautiful sounding hall as well - will definitely be looking out for other gigs there.

Following my 50th Birthday a couple of weeks ago, we spent the weekend in London with our best friends from Yorkshire. It culminated in a surprise trip to Ronnie Scott's on Sunday night, for my birthday. Saw the Scott Henderson Trio, to say Scott Henderson can play guitar is like saying Lionel Messi can play football. I'm not into Joe Bonnamassa, Stevie Ray Vaughn et al, I've previously referred to their style as 'playing guitar for the sake of it'. Scott Henderson was a bit different, his hands were all over the fret board, he plays like a man possessed. Ultimately it was still playing guitar for the sake of it and I wouldn't listen at home but he was great, as was his band. A night I'll never forget.

As for Ronnie Scott's, Wow a fabulous venue, I expected it to be a bit run down, I don't know why, but it wasn't, it was great.I'd love to see all my favorites play there. I'll definately go back.

Cheers BB

The legendary band Anvil ! I could not believe my luck they played in Weston Super Mare! A very amusing night.
They were actually very good!
Going to see Steven Wilson tomorrow in Cardiff I can't wait

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit at the Powerstation in Auckland last night.

Brilliant show - great musicians, very tight. And Isbell in fine voice.

Steven Wilson last night at the RAH. Great show, super tight band. Not so keen some of the more pop-driven stuff from the new album but great to hear some of my favourite Porcupine Tree tracks. My teenage daughter enjoyed it very much.

Tonight James 'Blood' Ulmer and his Odyssey trio at Ronnie Scott's. Changed the the lyrics to "Are You Glad To Be In America" to "We Have To Go Back To America (And We Got Trump)"

Certified Jazz Griot

Arcade Fire at Manchester Arena. Visually it's a stunning show, and the band were very much up for it. Support was provided by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, who were fabulous: would love to see them again. Great evening!

Last Thursday, whilst on one of my regular visits to The Cavern with an old friend, there was an unannounced 'Q&A' session in the Cavern Lounge featuring guitarist Earl Slick. TBH, I knew little or nothing about him, but I reasoned that anyone who had worked with both Lennon and Bowie ought to have something interesting to say. And so it proved. Some fascinating insights, though they'd have no doubt meant more to the real fans and afficionados who were asking some penetrating (or geeky) questions about the minutiae of album production.
Mr Slick came across as a pretty 'straight up' sort of chap, devoid of ego etc.

41405792172_da0f992369_c.jpg

Gregory Porter @ Nottingham Royal Concert Hall on 10th April - boy can that man sing, a range to die for. A wonderful night.

Issac Gracie at Nottingham Rescue Rooms on Wednesday night - can’t wait for this

Ray LaMontagne Sheffield City Hall May 11th - one of my favourite artists and really, really looking forward to seeing him live

Hoping to see (if they tour) later in the year Hozier and London Grammar

I like Ray LaMontagne and have seen him live. Excellent.

Like the others except Hozier, who I don't know.. so I might like him/her/them..

Sorry, but I don't 'get' Gregory Porter. Just another moderate soul/ballad singer to me. I find his singing 'OK' at best, and his recent Nat King Cole album was very disappointing. You have to be exceptional to step up to old Nat's mark.

Not sure how this works, but I jhave the opportunity to fly from Liverpool to Amsterdam and be on the guest list for a Liam Gallagher gig. Seems like return flights and two nights in a hotel for £121.

What would you do?

advertisement

Back