advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Best value gig of the year: Chambers / Lone Taxidermist / Hannah Peel / PINS / Nadine Shah / Jane Weaver

£12 (£10 concessions). Hull City Hall last Saturday. Top notch...

Robert Plant at Portsmouth Guildhall last night. One word Superb!
The Sensational Space Shifters are a very accomplished band, the sound was great and Plant's voice first class. I wish I was going again.

Kevin McDermott at The Admiral (Glasgow) couple of hours ago. Good show as always, shame he never made it big.

Tuesday night, enjoyed a superb concert by the talented Notos quartet in the beautiful Sale Apollinee at La Fenice in Venice.

Kate Rusby at Birmingham Town Hall last night. A lovely folky Christmassy delight. She has a such a warm stage presence and a skilled band to play alongside. Fabulous.

Having enjoyed the annual New Year’s Day Vienna Concert, broadcast live yesterday morning on BBC tv I followed it up by going to Manchester Camerata’s own New Year’s Day Gala concert at the Bridgewater Hall yesterday afternoon.
The usual suspects were interspersed with some newer pieces. In particular the voice of soprano Sarah Redgwick was fabulous.
I was somewhat disappointed at the low turnout although in mitigation the weather was foul.

Algiers - Strom, Munich 24.01.2018

Just returned from seeing Algiers in a small club in Munich.

I've gone a bit gaga over this band in the last few months, so was worried they would not be as good live.

But it was off the scale good. Inventive, dynamic, full of passion and piss. Really really enjoyable.

For the first time in my life, I am planning to follow a band to another show on their current tour.

Can only recommend them.

Aviv Geffen at Oslo, London. Was billed as "Aviv Geffen playing the music of Blackfield", so we were half expecting him solo, but 'twas full band - and mighty fine too.

Saw Wolf people last night at the deaf institute, excellent . Jim Ghedi was the support for the night which was something special .

Queens Hall Edinburgh on Sunday - Tommy Smith Quartett played tributes to John Coltrane, to my surprise he played some late Coltrane! This was good but it showed just what a genius Coltrane was when I span the real thing some time later. The audience enjoyed the gig a lot.

Marillion at the London Palladium 7th November.
Great show but a bit gutted that they didn't do 'The New Kings' suite from the F.E.A.R. album.

Nitin Sawhney in Manchester last night, I swear he had ten fingers on his right hand when he plays his guitar :)

Hot Rize w/Red Knuckles & The Trailblazers, Saturday February 17th at The Egg in Albany NY. Bryan Sutton is an absolute monster on the Martin.

Bit of a flurry to get through the winter blues, saw mogwai the other week at Albert Hall Manchester never seen them before and wonderful setting to see them in. Then Jen Cloher at deaf institute probably my favourite venue fantastic night . It gets better next week .

It's been a few months. Last was Herbie Hancock at the Barbican. The man is a living legend.
Next up, Alexander O'Neal.

Laura Misch at the Hare and Hounds Kings Heath last night.
She played solo with various techy gizmos to layer up the songs.
Her sax playing is quite lovely.

advertisement

Back