advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

John Cooper Clarke
Tolbooth Stirling last night

I was not disappointed, first time in my life i was in the front row about 3 ft from him, machine gun quick delivery, one liners, two liners, poems, stories and lots of observations on everything from the marine biologists to bongo's antics at the G8

Sore throat - hoarse from laughter, id go back tonite but he wont be there so theres no point.

Bridgewater Hall tonight. Manchester Camerata doing Beethoven's violin concerto and Symphony no.2 along with a filler, an execrable world premier piece by their composer in residence.
Giovanni Guzzo played the violin concerto and was at his blistering best as were the Camerata throughout. A great end to the season.

An evening of Ives, Elgar, Lumbye, Gershwin is it.

Central Park was effective, with players all round the auditorium, very wide soundstage for the Roundies there.

DS

An evening of Ives, Elgar, Lumbye, Gershwin is it.

Central Park was effective, with players all round the auditorium, very wide soundstage for the Roundies there.

DS

Come, come! You dissemble now, it was really a Bon Jovi concert wasn't it?

Mahler's 4th Symphony (a favourite of mine), in a chamber ensemble arrangement. Near to where I live in the Highlands. The semi-pro orchestra struggled during the tricky passage of the 2nd and 3rd movements. His symphonies are like journeys and when the orchestra mis-steps it really takes something from the experience.

But what the heck, a Mahler symphony was performed less than 200 yards from my house, so I'm happy.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse in Newcastle last night. 650 mile round trip but he was brilliant. Still some tickets for UK dates. If you are a fan catch him while he is here.

Bonnie raitt, last night at the symphony hall in Birmingham. She was amazing and I'd go back and see her again in a heartbeat!

Neil Young and Crazy Horse in Newcastle last night. 650 mile round trip but he was brilliant. Still some tickets for UK dates. If you are a fan catch him while he is here.
Agree!! Caught him last night at Birmingham LG Arena. Amazing guitar sound as you would expect. Annoyingly had to leave before the end to catch last train home :-( Could be your last chance to catch him in the UK??

Agree!! Caught him last night at Birmingham LG Arena. Amazing guitar sound as you would expect. Annoyingly had to leave before the end to catch last train home :-( Could be your last chance to catch him in the UK??

Would have been cool to see him, bonnie raitt gave a shout out to him.

The Who doing Quadraphenia in Glasgow on Wednesday night. Decent, but if I'm honest I'd have preferred it if they just did all of their best known stuff, beginning to end :)

Saw him there too. The man can still sing, and boy can he play guitar...not a fender strat in sight...

Great night, great sound ...loved it.

Qatar UK 2013 Year of Culture Musical Celebration in the Usher Hall.

Handel good, and Elgar's Cello Concerto with Paul Goodwin was fine, though the audience got confused with their clapping protocol, the actual RSNO musicians were very enthusiastic.

David Heath's piano concerto was very good and his new choral piece with The Choir of St. Mary's Cathedral was superb. No CDs are available.

Wael Binali had two good orchestral pieces, but his last presentation was really good with a 'Moorish' Arabic feel I remember from late 1960's British jazz (after 'trane). No CD is available. Please continue Mr Binali.

This was a good night out, but I am very frustrated that no recorded music is available. Sponsorship is obviously an issue.

Live music wins I guess.

Bruce Springsteen And The E-Street Band Wembley Stadium Last Night!

EPIC is the only word I can think of to describe last night's Wembley show, Like many I have seen Bruce countless times since my first Bruce gig in 1985 but for me last nights performance takes it straight into the top 3 Bruce shows I have ever seen, along with Milan in '93 and July 5th last year in Paris.

I really believe that Bruce and the E-Street band have never been better, I had got 2 songs left on 'my want to hear list' Lost in a Flood and Thundercrack, at one point it looked as if Bruce was walking towards a banner for Thundercrack but he collected a Hungry Heart banner instead, I was gutted, only to be taken to cloud 9 a few minutes later when he played Lost in a Flood, it was all a little emotional :)

Light Of Day was another highlight that I haven't heard in a long time, if only he had played Part Man, Part Monkey it would have been the 80's all over again. I was convinced that we would be treated to Born in the USA in its entirety, considering how monumental that tour was at Wembley in 1985 but never expected Darkness in its entirety, I couldn't have been happier, there are some great guitar solo's on that album and it has been awhile since I have seen Bruce take centre stage so much and perform such amazing solo's, brilliant to watch, and although I have heard most of the songs live many times from Darkness they just seemed more enjoyable hearing them as part of the album, strange to explain but I enjoyed them last night more than I have ever before, I enjoyed Candy's Room maybe a little too much to be honest with my air guitar taking a right hammering :rolleyes: but it was Racing In The Street that stole the show for me, the instrumental section at the end was mesmerising, great to see Roy doing his thing.

I'm convinced that Wembley 2013 will go down in the history books as one of Bruce's best and will be talked about for years to come by everyone who was lucky enough to be there, I had a feeling it would be a special night but had no idea it was going to be that great, it felt like a real treat for all the fans that have been following Bruce for all the years gone by.

I've got another 6 gigs left on this tour but I really can't see any of them touching last night, but that is the great thing about a Bruce gig, you never know what to expect, Leeds could be a corker and maybe Kilkenny will be up there, but I don't think that Wembley night will ever be repeated, I'm just grateful that I was there to experience it for myself.

Coventry next, can't wait to see what Bruce has in store for us then :)

Jimmy Beckley Trio at the Hampstead Heath Bandstand. Glorious weather and similar ambiance to the below. duncan jr was busting moves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry Christopher and the 16 last night at the Bridgewater Hall. On my way in to the Bridgewater Hall last night when I heard on the radio of the chaos in Manchester city centre traffic due to a Robbie Williams concert that I was unaware of. Luckily I was able to park up at Didsbury Metrolink and get the Tram in to town to see Harry Christopher and the 16. The concert was very well attended and the performers put in two short sets of effortlessly sublime singing. However I didn't like their supposedly more accurate version of Allegri's Miserere. Later they made up for it with a wonderful version of Macmillan's Miserere. Whilst the whole was delivered faultlessly it seemed effortless to the point of mechanical, i didn't feel lifted or part of something special. Nevertheless it was a good evening's entertainment and the tram home was great.

went to see house of love 4 weeks ago at a small venue in leeds.
It was a great night out although they are ageing a little , and maybe aren't
as good a recording group as they once were , Live they were excellent.

Prior to that i went to the leadmill in sheffield to see Johnny Marr.
Best night ive had out in the last 2 years.
I bought his album and thought it was Ok but boy his he better live,
has a much better voice than i thought he would have.
He did a few smiths tracks and most of his new album, i'd definitely go see him again.Cracking guitarist .
looking forward to my next gig i've tickets to see Depeche mode in Leeds in November. :D

A violin and piano recital in Dunrobin Castle's music room. Alas, we don't get enough music up here in the far north. I've been around the world for concerts and operas, but this is one of the most beautiful venues I've ever been to, and it's right on my doorstep.

advertisement

Back