advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Week last Sunday went to listen to Epiphany doing Mozart's Horn Quintet amongst other things at Poynton's Methodist church.
Tomorrow night it's Ad Solem, the Manchester University chamber choir performing at the Martin Harris centre.

Steve Reich and the London Sinfonietta last night at The Brighton Dome playing:
Clapping
Electric Counterpoint
2X5
Radio Rewrites
Double Sextet

Fabulous stuff: 2X5 in particular clicked for me seeing it played live; and the new pieces were excellent.

I too went to this, but 2X5 is not a fave of mine and I find it overlong. Enjoyed everything else though, especially Double Sextet.

Katie Bradley Blues Band at the Wrotham Arms in Broadstairs last night. A great blues singer with a fantastic band.
The previous night at the same pub was Funke and the Two Tone Baby along with Andy Twyman, both described as "new generation blues".

Status Quo. The last night of the original line up reunion tour dates at Wembley tonight. Very loud and very good.

Stop sniggering at the back ... ;)

Saw the Deftones for about the fourth time a couple of weeks ago. They were at the best I've seen them, too.

Booked tickets for Seasick Steve in Manchester on the 4th of May today. Been just over two years since I saw him last so I'm really looking forward to that one.

Huey & the New Yorkers, to a surprisingly small crowd in Portsmouth last night. He was in good form, despite struggling with his voice.

Went to see Brad Meldau at the Village Underground the other day. It was bloody cold waiting to get in! The tuba chap on before was a hoot (for 10 mins). I'm not actually a big Meldau fan but enjoyed it. Spent tuba man time thinking he needed a drummer and Meldau time thinking he needed less of one.

Off to The Heavy tomorrow, will report back.

Went to see Brad Meldau at the Village Underground the other day. It was bloody cold waiting to get in! The tuba chap on before was a hoot (for 10 mins). I'm not actually a big Meldau fan but enjoyed it. Spent tuba man time thinking he needed a drummer and Meldau time thinking he needed less of one.

Off to The Heavy tomorrow, will report back.

What's the venue like?
There's been a few things I've wanted to see there, but have been put off by the fact that it's a bunch of arches, with the ensuing sound problems.
Oh, and also that there's no way I'd have stood up for a gig by The Necks.

Its pretty crap sonically. Okay otherwise but nothing special. Its big enough that you can breath and small enough that you can feel intimate. It was also a bit warmer than outside.

Ta for that.
If the blagging works out (and tbh if it doesn't - but free's better eh?) I'll be off to see !!! there in a couple of months time.

Yo La Tengo at the Barbican. Not the best show of theirs that I have seen, but then I have seen them a fair few times. Sound quality was fine apart from a bit of bass boom. Track selections were not the best, but they played Blue Line Swinger which is probably their best live track IMO.

Seeing them play is like seeing an old friend. It was enjoyable and they didn't out stay their welcome, even after playing for over 2 hours combined in two sets.

Its pretty crap sonically. Okay otherwise but nothing special. Its big enough that you can breath and small enough that you can feel intimate. It was also a bit warmer than outside.

I saw Plaid there a while back and swore never to go back. The disproportionately high proportion of Hoxton ****wits in the audience meant you could barely hear the music. And this is about ten foot from the PA.

Maybe it was just a bad night.

St George's, Bristol this evening.

moog1.jpg

moog2.jpg

Moogasm!

Went to see The Heavy last night - They were even more fun than playing Borderlands!

Great - plenty of squelch, w000b and moogtastic oddness.

After about 10mins of trying to herd them all to a similar pitch the ensemble started with a little joke then played a complete rendition of Bach's Brandenburg concerto #3 - really quite something, even before Adrian Utley started drifting off into the bleeposhere :D. A fine ambient piece written for the ensemble followed along with one or two intersting little diversions.

The second half comprised a single extended piece tying-in with the Watershed's Filmic 2013 festival - The service of Tim Hennman is an ultra slow-mo video art piece (showing about 15secs of tennis footage but lasting ~50mins) with a full 11-part pounding/sweeping analogue synth soundtrack provided by the ensemble, part scored, part definitely adlib. Fab.

advertisement

Back