advertisement

What component have you heard and straight away thought 'no way'

Linn LP12 and Naim amps, made worse by the preachy evangelising salesman with St Vitus afflicted feet. I left the shop with an (original) Electrocompaniet power amp, which when demoed was not accompanied by the foot tapping.
Original (early) Rega RB300, decided to rewire it the same day I installed it. Still a fan of the RB series but always modded.
A Sony AV receiver and a Pioneer AV receiver, can't remember the numbers but eventually settled on a Pioneer.

So that’s just about every hifi manufacturer and/or component ever available FFS!

Probably the exact same list would appear if the thread was entitled “What component have you heard and straight away thought 'yes way'”.

It wasn't intended as a product bashing thread and indeed there are examples of folk having the opposite, immediate reaction to the same items. Rodney cited AT carts (marmite products for sure) which paradoxically I love and Benchmark through headphones.
It illustrates how radically tastes differ and the first, unguarded reaction to something is very telling for me. That's why I find much of the dogma surrounding particular brands or the old digital vs analogue chestnut either amusing or simply tedious.

So that’s just about every hifi manufacturer and/or component ever available FFS!

Probably the exact same list would appear if the thread was entitled “What component have you heard and straight away thought 'yes way'”.

That's it exactly. All audio equipment falls far short of reproducing the actual sound of music. So you have to chose which compromises are acceptable.
For me, 90% of stuff belongs in the nearest skip. To my ears the worst are stuff like Chord, ATC, Naim, Focal...all those ''hi fi'' companies with 'product' to shift. Others just love them......

Funnily enough, at a Linn demo a good few years back, they played their top-flight CD system of the time, and then played an LP12. It was like a breath of fresh air when they switched to vinyl, and at that point I thought;

"Linn CD? No way"

That's it exactly. All audio equipment falls far short of reproducing the actual sound of music. So you have to chose which compromises are acceptable.
For me, 90% of stuff belongs in the nearest skip. To my ears the worst are stuff like Chord, ATC, Naim, Focal...all those ''hi fi'' companies with 'product' to shift. Others just love them......

Tell us what's the 10% worth having then please.

Magico Speakers--they are akin to what I would imagine the sound of a Hyena being waxed

McIntosh Amps--unfortunately I don't own a boat

D41

Wilson Alexandria that were demoed in the hifishop I used to work for, I was ready to get two pairs just in case one failed:) But seriously, I enjoyed our Totem Staff in the other room much more.

Pretty much everything I hear, I think either:

a. that's not as good as my system

b. that's a bit better than my system but it should be at 5+ times the price and I'm not prepared to spend that much for a marginal gain

Actually it's quite a while since I heard a b.
My system, by the way, is good stuff (Cyrus/Bryston/KEF) but not in any way top of the league.

I wonder if you took the room and amp/speaker matching issues out of this thread - how much would be left? :)

+1. But it is not just amp/speaker IMO. A cartridge change can radically change whole system sound. Some people even believe a cable change or two can move the sound enough to make a difference...
Must drive manufacturers crazy. So :
1. Get room correction gizmo ?
2. Get all system from 1 manufacturer ? or
3. Spend rest of life trying every combo ?
or all 3 ?

Stirling V2 LS35/a's. I really wanted to like these speakers as I love the classic LS3/5a. It didn't sound anything close to the original. :(

For me, the equipment that has most often caused me to immediately wince is Chord amplification. In fact, the best I can say about is that I've heard a couple of dems where the sound wasn't quite as shiny and bright as the aesthetics but all the other times I have heard it the system has sounded absolutely appalling.

Tune dem/tap along to this, mother****er

WAP139CD_Packshot_1000.jpg

advertisement

Back