advertisement

What component have you heard and straight away thought 'no way'

Rega Brio 2: pedestrian and no spunk whatsoever. Sold on at a good profit back on EBay. Lovely looking unit though (no it wasn't faulty btw!).

Much as a like Rega as a company, I've been quite disappointed with their products:
RB250 - dull and boring sound
Rega couple - fat and slow sound
Saturn - bright and "hifi" sounding (maybe it needed to be used with Couples?)

I wonder if you took the room and amp/speaker matching issues out of this thread - how much would be left? :)

Cambridge Audio dacmagic usb, cold and shrill sounding. I tried playing with the filter setting but came to the conclusion that it was just poor.

Not really. You would all need to hear them in the same situation to determine if it was a preference/taste thing, the other factors influence the result far more.

I dunno; one person's 'flat' is another person's 'neutral'; one persons 'lively' is another person's 'shrill'. Plus, our hearing changes as we grow older, so what might have seemed over-bright at 25 might seem just right at 55.

The thread does serve to demonstrate the importance of hearing things oneself, rather than relying on others' recommendations!

The thread does serve to demonstrate the importance of hearing things oneself, rather than relying on others' recommendations!

Agreed. To which I would add - in your own environment if you possibly can.

Some of the items mentioned on this thread I've heard sound superb and pretty grim in different situations. There are some items that I have not heard sound good, but that's not to say the next time it won't be different.

I guess this type of thread just seems a bit negative to me. But folk do seem to prefer slagging stuff. It obviously fulfills a need. :)

I know that if the dealer is sitting beside me, leaning forward and tapping his foot then turns to smile at me, it must be good.

Joe, you make a good point- the ravages of time will alter your auditory perception. In my case I feel like I've gone from an ARC reference system to a Richer Sounds stack (without the cost savings). A couple of weeks ago I wanted to accost Mitsuko Uchida when I passed her in the street to tell her her Steinway sounded like a pub pianola.BTW did you use your recent changes to address your loom?

I think if a dealer did that, its would be only polite to put a hand on his knee and ask "what are you doing this evening, honey".

BTW did you use your recent changes to address your loom?

Yes, up to a point; I've 'freed up' several lots of cables (see Charity room), and moved the mains block off the floor on to the bottom shelf of the equipment rack.

We're redecorating/refurnishing later this year, so I'll have to move everything around a bit, which will enable me to get the cables a bit tidier. I might even do some dusting.

I think if a dealer did that, its would be only polite to put a hand on his knee and ask "what are you doing this evening, honey".

Even if they were conducting Ride of the Valkyries with the card machine?

I remember going to the dealer launch of Linns Isobaric replacements ,Keltiks.

I ( and a good few others on the night) thought they were epically awful.

I'm not sure that Linn have manage to make a flagship loudspeaker since then that has been worth the asking price.

advertisement

Back