advertisement

What component have you heard and straight away thought 'no way'

Celestion SL-6. Shouty, harsh, no bass worth listening too. Purchased a 2nd pair a couple of years later to make sure the first weren't duds. Not going back for a 3rd time...

Tannoy Turnberrys
Spendor SP1/2R
All Audio Technica headphones
Denon AHD-7100 headphones (new model) Ugh.

My most dreadfull experience was with the Stirling LS3/5a V2.
(eventhough I expected a lot of it. Perhaps the amp (Nait 5i) was nog a good match)

Usually speakers are the most obvious for me. When I went shopping for my first pair as a student in the early 80s, I fancied those blingy Missions with the white baffles and the big Mission print on the front ( obviously intended to be used without grilles- impress your mates stylee). As soon as I listened I thought 'nope'. As soon as I heard Castle Tynes it was an instant yes. So I ended up leaving with the pipe and slippers option.

Class D or Class AD amplifiers

On several occasions I've heard a Chord CD/amplifier setup and I couldn't leave the room quick enough.
I think Chord products look great, but not for me soundwise, I hope owners have better results and are not offended by my comments, it's just what I have heard.

enjoy your music

regards Al

PMC Fact 8 - I was really expecting to like them... thought they would be my sort of thing, but, on the end of a high end Linn system, they just sounded flat, boring, lifeless and cloudy. I'd asked to listen to them as I wasn't getting on with the Linn speakers (I can't recall which, but priced similarly to the Fact 8s). I suppose it could have been the electronics or the room, but I've tried them again in other circumstances and I'm still unimpressed... I think I've been using electrostatics for too long.

Ha! where to start

Magicos, VTL's, anything Emperical Audio, Nola speakers,

God save the Queen:rolleyes:

Diver 41

PMC Fact 8 - I was really expecting to like them... thought they would be my sort of thing, but, on the end of a high end Linn system, they just sounded flat, boring, lifeless and cloudy. I'd asked to listen to them as I wasn't getting on with the Linn speakers (I can't recall which, but priced similarly to the Fact 8s). I suppose it could have been the electronics or the room, but I've tried them again in other circumstances and I'm still unimpressed... I think I've been using electrostatics for too long.

I completely agree very overpriced thin sounding PMC Fact 8. Much better speaker is the new Focalstage Floor stander half the price. I have NO connection with Acoustic Insight.

Just thought of another one from way back... Linn Arkiv Cartridge: I had a Karma, which I loved, and a friend had a Lyra of some flavour, which was really good, so I thought that a Linn cartridge made by Lyra for Linn would be my holy grail. My dealer leant me their demo one, I fitted it to my LP12, played it through my Naim/Active Isobariks - I was stunned - it was really, really awful. Tried over and over again, all weekend, but after four days, and an infinite number of adjustments, I took it back, ordered my first Lyra and that was a real joy.

Linn Klimax active speakers - like a miniature transistor radio with a bad subwoofer.
Naim's top of the line active everything from the 80s - super aggressive and easily beaten by their cheap stuff.
Some Cabasse "eyeball" speakers - even brighter than 50 Naim boxes!
Kingsound electrostatics - beam me up scotty (unbelievably directional sound)
Martin Collom's Rythym King speakers - dull
Chord amps - nearly as bright as 50 Naim boxes and even more processed sounding.
Backes and Mueller speakers - boom, boom
Most horn speakers

Kef LS50's

Despite all the raving I thought they have bloated and boomy bass.

advertisement

Back